Good Source for SMA Connectors?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N0TZU, Dec 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Does anyone know a good, inexpensive source for decent SMA connectors? My current need is for a number of PCB edge mount solder female SMA jacks for little one-off projects and test jigs on standard two sided FR4 0.063" thick, like this:

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 4.58.16 PM.png

The cheapest US seller I've found is one through Digikey at $1.70 or Sparkfun at $1.95 each. Other suppliers I saw are much more.

Of course AliExpress and other Chinese outlets have numerous suppliers of 10 pieces at 1/10 that price but who knows if they are rejects from the production line.

2. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How many do you need? I have a bunch left over from some commercial filter projects I worked on a while back.

N0TZU likes this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

$1.70 sounds like an amazing deal to me.

I remember when we used to buy these at Boonton Electonics (I was on engineering staff for the signal generators, beginning with the 102A, and we used several internal board-to-board SMAs) we used to pay over $5 each for them -- in the 1970s! They were gold plated of course, but I think almost all of them are. We used stainless steel bulkhead (panel mount) SMAs in a few places where they had to be user-integrated hundreds of times (the gold plated brass ones wore out) and they cost even more!

N0TZU and K0UO like this.
  4. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Cannot beat free if you can get them. If not you are going to have to buy a minimum of 10 connectors to get the price down. Found this on Amazon, from unknown manufacture, but it gets the unit price down to 75-cents.

Really less than $2 is pretty good. As a point of reference if you search Mouser and Digikey for say Amphenol SMA PCB connectors which you now are upper end will run over $10 and up.

Good luck, I used the ones from Amazon to build a few LNA loop antenna pre-amps. They work OK as long as you remember SMA are not made to really be used. I mean taken off and put back on. More intended for hard line and small coax interconnecting RF stages.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    N0TZU and K0UO like this.
  5. N0TZU

Thanks, I was planning to order 20 for stock on hand but could use 4 as a start.

6. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Ultimately they come from Amazon, through Wally world's "WallFront" corp., and finally from a junk dealer, Tasharina Corp, in Mountain View California.

---------------
    Cut out all the middle man money skimmers.
    ---------------

Buy on Ebay, direct from China, with free shipping. Thats what I do. I've found the only thing you really have to be cautious about when buying from the ChiComs, is semiconductors, even then if they have thousands of transactions and 98% or better feedback they're quite probably OK. I've only had couple of occasions where I've knowingly been bit.

N0TZU and K8AI like this.
  7. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

It would depend on how many mating cycles you need them to be good for, I'd think. If it's just a few then the Ebay direct-from-China is the way to go. Otherwise, I'd go for a stainless steel, etc end-launch SMA from RF Parts or Pasternack instead.

N0TZU likes this.
  8. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

The ones from China (Amazon) are just shinny brass; not gold plated. They seem to work ok with my NanoVna....

N0TZU likes this.
  9. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to program a cnc lathe that made sma connectors, then I would test them on a network analizer that co$t as much as a Cadillac.

$1.70 is a unbelievably good price.

And that you can get them for a fraction from the Orient is even better.

Rege

N0TZU likes this.
  10. N0TZU

Thanks everyone for their comments, and especially @K7TRF who is very kindly sending a few to me.

$1.70 isn’t a lot by the standards of other RF connector types (or compared to years ago). But in my experience one can go through a lot of them pretty quickly, so I consider them to be a consumable item.

I think I’ll order some of the US sold ones and some super cheap ones and compare. Of course I don’t have a mating cycle test machine, but a couple of dozen cycles ought to reveal if they are complete junk or not. There are a couple of easy tests for brass vs. gold plating so I’ll do that too. I don’t know of a way to test the dielectric type easily. The VNA should reveal if there is a big problem with Z0 up to 1 GHz though.

As a related item, inexpensive short SMA cable assemblies are now available ($5 at Sparkfun, less from China) This is important for those of us experimenting with the NanoVNAs as a way to avoid connector wear and strain damage on the VNA, instead using the cables as a consumable, with an adapter as needed.