Good sign or bad?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by W6ELH, Mar 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W6ELH

W6ELH Ham Member QRZ Page

So... I'm trying to take the plunge and learn Morse. Have been using one of the online study programs in the evening, listening to a "Gordo" CD during my short work commute, and listening to CW QSOs trying to pick out what little I can.

I'm still very early in the process, but now I "hear" CW in random background noise. I'll be reading or working on something, and think I hear CW. "Did I leave a radio on?" Nope, nothing, it's just that muddled up mass of gelatin inside my head bone.

I hope this is a good sign, but I'm not exactly certain! o_O

Cheers... Jim

K4OCY and KO4LZ like this.
  2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not a problem until you start copying that phantom CW an i tells you to do bad things Jim!

VE7JBX, KB2SMS, KI5WW and 2 others like this.
  3. KO4LZ

KO4LZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This happens to me too -- sometimes I think I hear CW in random background noise. Completely normal :)

WB5YUZ likes this.
  4. AA4OO

AA4OO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

5. K4OCY

K4OCY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I hear it in all sorts of things:) Good luck!

6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Wait..Wait.. is that a faint call in the noise ?
    When I call CQ on 12 M I sometimes think I hear someone answering me down in the noise but....no luck.
    I have made 5 CW QSOs on 12M in the last 10 years and have logs to prove it :D
    Anybody , call me on 24.910 soon !

7. KO4LZ

KO4LZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My phone's ringtone is actually my call (KO4LZ) in CW at 20 WPM -- it's a unique sound that always gets my attention even when it's almost buried in noise :)

8. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear it all the time too, only problem it's always key down carrier, and way off frequency!

9. KT0G

KT0G Ham Member QRZ Page

I have CW ringtones for names of 5 or 6 people that call me regularly. I also have my an app on my cell phone that plays my text messages in code as received. Plus I hear tones from all types of sources. Its a curse I can't shake.

10. NT4TC

NT4TC Ham Member QRZ Page

Where can I get these apps? I'd love to have my ringtone be my call sign... and then others' names? The text message app sounds cool too. I've an Android phone.

Tom - N7TGC