Good operator etiquette

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K0UO, Dec 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good Operator Etiquette

If you hear a station in QSO, please don't just jump in if you can't hear both stations, (unless you have an emergency). It seems very rude and disrupts the QSO for the other station, the best practice would be to wait until the station signs that you cannot hear. I know the other station that was in the QSO in the first place feels left out. (if you know both stations in QSO then I can understand)

It seems like this is happening all the time, more and more.

Some times 2 or 3 stations will call but no one hears each other, they are all asking for signal reports, and it just kills the QSO. I know the other station that was in the QSO in the first place feels left out. So I guess this must be good operator etiquette now days?

Does this happen to you other hams??

2. W6KCS

W6KCS Ham Member QRZ Page

It sometimes happens to me when I use .52 simplex from a mountain top. I don't mind, if they keep it short.

K0UO likes this.
  3. NN6D

NN6D Ham Member QRZ Page

-are you asking for a friend or were you personally in a situation where you felt "left out" ?
    -what if the "station in qso" is spoofing a qso and there really is no other station - ie he's talking to himself , pretending...
    what's the etiquette for dealing with him ?

one universal solution to all those little glitches and personalities is to run more power and smile about being left out

4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I hear it on the air all the time.
    But In my cases most of the time they are calling me ( I only run 100 watts most of the time), I just tell them to hold on I'm in QSO and then check to see if the station I'm in QSO with can hear them, if so we make a 3 way.
    But most of the time they can't hear the other station..... so what do you do at that point???

5. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Best not to talk to crazy people so just spin the big knob ;)

WA9SVD and K0UO like this.
  6. NN6D

NN6D Ham Member QRZ Page

if you're on a vhf calling frequency, well all bets are off but sounds like it's happening to you on hf
    in that case you can either play nice and be the "net control" or just tell'em "the frequency is in use, OM!" :)

KD2ACO and K0UO like this.
  7. NN6D

NN6D Ham Member QRZ Page

you're bound to miss all the good conversations that way

KD2ACO and K7TRF like this.
  8. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

It's just another manifestation of instant gratification that is all too prevalent these days. No one (well, many) don't want to be courteous and wait...they need it now!

K8PG and K0UO like this.