Good night on 20m!

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by NM7G, May 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't know if tonight will repeat last night, but I'll certainly check out the 20m prop.

20 was better to EU than I've heard in many months last night. Heard 8-10 countries with solid sigs. But, the icing on the cake was long-path opening to southern Africa from NW Oregon. at 0400Z, ZS6DN was 559. Looked at VOACAP online. It revealed strong openings due for the entire SE coast of Africa. When I pulled the plug at 0620Z, I was listening to ZS3Y chatting with a strong VK, both like they were locals here. ZS3Y peaked S9+25dB. VK6RBP (beacon) on Australia's west coast was also solid last night, though only S3. The downside was most folks in AF were busy at their midday activities, so few stations QRV then.

Anyway, let's hope for a repeat tonight.

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It was semi-OK up here, which was far better than the normal abysmal state.

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

(There's a reason Alaska starts with "alas"........

KA0HCP likes this.
  4. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think it repeated !

For the past two nights on 20m CW, (at around 02-0300z /21-2200 CDST)) I've been spotted by VK4CT on the Reversebeacon.net site.

I hit Pay-Dirt last evening ! :D

0203-0210z - 14045 khz -
    ZL2BLQ / Stan
    0246z - 14027 khz - 4U1UN
    0335-0344z - 14054 khz - VK7CW / Steve, in Tasmania

None of the signals were "arm-chair" copy, but, HEY ! (some signal is better than NO signal) ;)

I listened to VK7CW until 0415z (2315 CDST) working the states with a 559 signal here in Mobile, Ala. - I was using my old ICOM-735 (100w) into a 80m OCF dipole only up about 20-25 ft. (LDG AT-11MP Autotuner)

Steve / VK7CW says that 17m from 0030-0300z & 20m from 0300-0530z has been good for short-path to North America for him.

Until just recently, 20m has been pretty-much dead after local sunset down here on the Gulf Coast.

p.s.; I was happy to squeeze in 4U1UN between N.Z. & Tasmania :D

dit dit

WB5YUZ and KP4SX like this.
  5. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad it paid off. Have experienced six solar minimums, but don't recall an opening like May 18 in a minimum. The K-Index was ZERO, and SFI was 71 as I recall. A lot of good things happen for me when the geomagnetic field is extra quiet. Another clue to just how quiet the geom. field was: I monitor the NCDXF beacons often, and six beacons were detectable (not all copyable) on 14100 the other night. Also noticed the non-ham German station on 10101 louder than usual, though heard only a single feeble ham on 30m. Have fun.

6. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's a bit of information on that German weather station on 10100.8 khz I thought you might find interesting.

"DDK9 German WX RTTY (10101kHz)
    The German Weather Service transmits weather and navigation information and warnings for ships around Europe via RTTY 24 hours a day 7 days a week on centre frequency of 10100.8 kHz with a spacing of 450 Hz radio teletype. Thus the transmitted tones are on carrier frequencies of 10100.575 and 10101.025 kHz.

The callsign for this frequency is DDK9 and the transmitting antenna is located at Pinneberg northern Germany. The transmitter power is 15kW and with an efficiency of around 70% radiates therefore ERP of around 7kW from a quarter wave ground plane located on a field at ground level with a copper network wire for the earth network.

This station deserves a mention here at 30CW.Net because of its continuous presence as a Primary user on 30m which must not be interfered with. It is the only Primary Fixed Service station on 30m that transmits all year round continuously. It therefore also serves as a very useful "beacon" for determining propagation conditions to Europe from overseas, or to Northern Germany from within Europe."

Now ya know who/what that signal is... :D

K7QAT likes this.
  7. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm in Seoul, and we've been able to work into the EU well after 11pm, Korea time. I've been pretty happy to work England, again.