ad: MyersEng-1

Good News for Amateur Radio Operators

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD0NDG, Nov 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WA3YRE

WA3YRE Ham Member QRZ Page

Since I just missed the 20 for extra a couple of times I decided to leave the advanced ranks when they dropped the code down to 5wpm. Sat for the extra just because I could. I find I rarely use the lower 25Khz of the cw bands, but at least I do not have to worry about it if I am using one of my ancient rigs near .025.

I actually find that even though there are more hams these days finding anyone to speak with is harder. I can put out calls all day on repeaters and get no responses. HF bands are often without users, yet I can hear my own signals on websdr. I am not sure what good it does to have license holders who are not active.

There are some prepper groups that I have crossed paths with where everyone in the group got tickets, bought Chinese radios, then never got on the air. Trying to get them to be useful for a public service event is about like getting a random unlicensed person off the street up and operational as a communicator for an event. I suspect many of the increased numbers are people like that who think that if they get the license and have a radio magic will happen when they need emergency communications.

K6LPM likes this.
  2. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

There are many good reasons to have a license but not do much talking with others on the air.
    Radio experimenting is one of the main things that comes to mind.

I find that having a common interest with a group of operators, involving a particular activity or type of operation, leads to more QSOs on HF.

N0TZU and WU8Y like this.
  3. K2DED

K2DED Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I LOVE DATA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO CALCULATE...AND ANY FUTURE DATA WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED....DONT LISTEN TO THE HATERS!! EXISTENCE IS CHAOS WITHOUT DATA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. KD0QG

KD0QG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

40 years ago After a long time of being a Novice/Teck I up graded to Advanced in one session. I made The 20 wpm but missed 2 too many on the Extra even tough I didn't expect that i would end up taking it anyway. I have though about going on and take the test again but why would I? I already have over 90% of the frequencies and all the ones do I use and I haven't uses CW Since. And I have an Exclusive Licence that I achieved with diligence in getting code speed up and most of the test was from what I had learned with time on the air threw the years..... And I now have an Exclusive Licence that no one else is able to Qualify for one now and I will stick with my Special licence from now on..

N6RRY likes this.
  5. W4LJ

W4LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In the FCC data base, the "prev. op. class" is indicated per call sign. If you are currently an Advanced class operator and choose to upgrade, then the "official" FCC data base records that you upgraded from Advanced.
    BTW, I know I passed both the 13 WPM and 20 WPM test even if no one else does. That's what matters to me :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    WD4IGX, KD2NFE, N0TZU and 1 other person like this.
  6. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's another opinion from a "hater":
    Garbage in = garbage out

7. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

No it isn't. Look at mine.
    My prev. op. class is advanced but my prev. callsign is the sequentially assigned Extra Class callsign I got when I upgraded. 10 years after that I got my current vanity callsign.
    Previous Operator Class and Previous Callsign are not related.

8. KB7MM

KB7MM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bonnie I'm still in the running to be the last Advanced class operator putting on another steak and opening a brew 73

KC5AKB and KD0QG like this.
  9. KD0QG

KD0QG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

40+ years go I upgraded to Advanced Class from Novice/Teck that I had for quite a long while and finally the FCC scheduled an exam in Denver for us all. By then I could copy 25 wpm cw so the 20 wpm was no problem. But I haven't been on cw since. Yes I have thought about going back to take the test again, but just why should I? I already have 90+ % of the frequencies and the ones I operate on anyway.? And with a no code extra it just dosen't mean anything to me? I have a Special Exclusive Licence that no one can qualify for anymore and I put in the time to get proficient with cw and knowledgeable of the test just by experiance? So just why should I give up this now Special Exclusive licence for a lesser one that just gives a few more frequencies but not the accomplishment it once did? I decided to stay with my Advanced Class a long time ago.. 73

N6RRY likes this.
  10. W4LJ

W4LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, it is. Your previous class is listed. No, it's not the same call but it is you. Thanks for this extremely meaningful debate :)

11. K2DFC

K2DFC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with you in many ways. But I do operate CW. And really want to go in the lower portion of the bands. My wish would be since CW is no longer a requirement the FCC would grant Advanced the lower 25.

12. WB9YZU

WB9YZU Ham Member QRZ Page

OR you could upgrade and earn it? :D
    It is called Incentive for a reason

ND6M and AI7PM like this.
  13. KF7IQ

KF7IQ Ham Member QRZ Page

On the cancellations, what percentage of these call signs are class upgrades where a new call sign was issued and the old call sign is canceled?
    Looking at the issued license numbers vs the active license numbers the Amateur radio community should take note that this graph shows there are a large number licensees that could move to active status if encourage to do so by mentors. Do you know a new Ham that is inactive? Do you have an old radio just laying around collecting dust that you will probably never put back on the air? I'll bet that a number of inactive newer Hams would love the opportunity to be able to tune around the bands and listen on an old radio if they were only encouraged to do so by a good mentor.

14. W6GH

W6GH Ham Member QRZ Page

Well this is really good news if accurate. My only concern is the accuracy of the FCC Data base. Does the data include silent keys?" Just a thought. Amateur radio has been my passion for more than 50 years. I want to see more novices joining our ranks. I guess that is a tech now. Whatever! :) DE Jim W6GH

15. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

No doubt those numbers will increase as we enter the next solar cycle up slope :cool:
    Another Factor / Constant to add to the Formula.

G3SEA/KH6