Good HF No Radial Vertical?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by AA9ZZ, Jun 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. M6RUZ

M6RUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

hi
    i had my hf9v butternut 2 foot off the ground without radials kit it was great ive not got a lot of room so i have put it on a pole at 30 foot and made up a very small radial kit up from an old mfj 1796 with out the coil works great from 80-6 have a look at my profile page
    all the best russ

2. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Good grief, where has this thread been ? Somebody just found it ! Cushcraft make good no radial verticals, despite all the comments to the contrary. Perhaps dipoles are better, but........ what if you can't have one 50 feet above the ground... what if you can have one only 25 feet above the ground ?

Dipoles do work if they are not high, they just work better when they're higher. A Hygain vertical works OK, if they were no good they wouldn't still be making 'em. Think about this, how many times have you heard a fella in a mobile working stations in Europe, lots of times if you've been round the block a few times. And how high is a mobile antenna ? And a 100 watts radiates about 20 watts from a mobile antenna... but they still make the contacts don't they ?

G0GQK

3. WD5GWY

WD5GWY Ham Member QRZ Page

Certainly have been making contact with my mobile! Icom 706 MKIIG,
    Alpine Screwdriver antenna all set up in a Dodge pickup. :)
    BUT, from my big truck (2007 Kenworth) using my Kenwood TS-50s,
    102" whip and an LDG z-11 PRO auto tuner, good results 20-10 meters.
    OK, on 40 meters. and I don't push my luck on 80 meters!! :D
    Only downside on the big truck is the TS-50s has a mediocre at best
    Noise Blanker, and the CAT engine in the truck has electronic fuel injectors
    that just wipe out 40 meters with the engine running. 20 and above, I have to use the noise blanker between my ears!!
    james
    WD5GWY

(until my ICOM 7000 arrives!!)

4. WC5B

WC5B Ham Member QRZ Page

I had great luck with the Crushcraft MA5V / MA6V. They are not the most rugged contraptions, but for the size and easy setup, it had decent preformance. It actually outpreformed two vertically polorized tri-banders at an ocean side Hawaii Field Day by LEAPS and BOUNDS. It turned that field day into a great round table discussion on why it was a great antenna for such a simple design.

5. KK7EL

KK7EL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Been using a Cushcraft R8 (without ground radials) for just over 10 years now on a city lot. Works fine for what it is, handles up to 1500w ( I use at ~ 500w max) yet is still efficient enough to work JA from Phoenix AZ with 10w SSB on 15m.

It/R8 certainly would not be my first choice for a good antenna -- think tower and yagi or quad -- but because a vertical is about all I can put up here it is a very workable solution.

6. AG6JU

AG6JU Ham Member QRZ Page

Low profile Option Comet CHA-250B

I think there are better option, but if you need low profile , and no space, power line near by like me.
    CHA-250A or ISO LOOP may be a option.
    CHA-250B do OK on 10 MHz or higher FREQ. bad on 3.5MHz, really BAD at 1.8MHz ( only local contact within 10 miles radius with 100 watts )
    7 MHz band, surprisingly made CW contact with Japan several times.
    if you can go with bigger but not as low profile antenna like 43 ft, 33 ft vertical go with them, GAP , MFJ, R7, R8 are better choice.

7. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

By definition a monopole antenna with no radials is just 1/2 of an antenna so one might expect only half of the performance (on a good day)!

8. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got an R5 and my Yaesu FT-897D that is broken , only puts out about a couple watts on HF , and I make regular contacts east & west cost all the time .
    I've make contact to northwestern England , Central America .
    I have not put on much wire yet [ dipoles ] because of moving from job site to job sit , and in a small urban lot at this time .
    I will have to say that I am kinda cheating on no radials now , because the R5 is on top of a Rohn telescoping mast at about 25 ft high and the mast is strapped to a chain link fence , so there are some radials now .
    This set up gets me most of 6m , I am using a MFJ-989C tuner also .

9. AC0HD

AC0HD Ham Member QRZ Page

The definition of a monopole antenna does not mention anything about "radials". I believe the term you were looking for in the "definition" was not radials but rather "counterpoise".

Only one form/design of such counterpoise consists of radially placed wires, screen, etc therefore the counterpoise is not restricted to only "radials".

A design that comes to mind is a vertical dipole which may or may not be an answer to every situation and doesn't necessarily have to be setup as in the classic end-to-end format but is an effective monopole design without said "radials".

Yes, there are effective vertical designs that do not use "radials". There are even some I have seen that by design shouldn't work, but do...

73-
    Les

10. AC0HD

AC0HD Ham Member QRZ Page

One vertical that I have rarely seen or heard referenced that fits in a confined space is a mobile screwdriver type antenna ground mounted with a few short radials.

I had better luck with my High Sierra screwdriver on a 18" pipe in the ground with a the counterpoise/radial set they offer (8-10' radials, I believe) on all HF bands ( including 160M using their discontinued add-on 160M coil) than with many of the more effective long wire designs...don't ask why or how with radials that by design should not be nearly long enough but it actually did a pretty impressive job in the yard with only 100 watts and very little time, effort, or trouble to setup.

Was it the most effective design...no but was pretty darn well impressive for the expense and little amount of set-up time and trouble it took...besides, 15 minutes and it can be removed and mounted back on the car/truck/ etc for your vacation mobileer set-up.

Just another idea...

73-
    L

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.