ad: SDRKits-1

Good HF No Radial Vertical?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by AA9ZZ, Jun 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. AC0HD

AC0HD Ham Member QRZ Page

If your concern is like mine and you do not have the horizontal square footage on your porperty for radials, you always have the option to try a direct ground via ground rod...may or may not work as well as radials but surely will be be pretty effective and most assuredly better than nothing.

I am mobileer only due to time spent on the road among other things, but due to my small yard and highline wires at the optimal location for a vertical, If i ever do decide to put up HF in the shack/house, I will be limited to trying a ground rod setup. We use a vertical with a ground rod counterpoise for Field Day every year in the local State Park and it works well enough.

Hope that gives you an option to think about...

Les - ac0hd/m

2. AD7N

AD7N Ham Member QRZ Page

Try the J-pole!: http://www.vcars.org/tech/20_Meter_JPole.htm

Up to 20 meters it can make an interesting, no-radial-needed vertical that works quite well. The above link is a guyed 20m jpole that a ham used while his beam was down. If you have the flat space for a 50ft guyed vertical, it isn't too expensive as it is simply made out of wire. The combined cost of guys, waterpipe for mast and the wire (and guy anchors) shouldn't cost much.

Don't have the sq ft. or have height restrictions for 50ft guyed masts? Try placing the thing in a tree and screwing it into the tree (don't wrap straps around the trunk, it kills the tree).

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  3. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Have a look at the comments on e-ham, Cushcraft R5 is good despite some comments about verticals without radials being useless Cushcraft R7 is also good but you will only find these used. Cushcraft R8 is also said to be OK, High gain AV 620 are OK. don't look at the Cushcraft R 6000. The Hustlers are OK but you need radials. I have verticals which I have used for SSB and PSK they get me around the world.

G0GQK

4. KK4EJ

KK4EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ive been told that the BTV ones, DX without radials, add radials and its better close in. Go figure?

Randy
    KK4EJ

5. G0VUH

G0VUH Ham Member QRZ Page

HF Vertical

Hi,
    I'm using a Solarcon A99 (Antron) for 20mts-10mts, its sold as CB Antenna for 11mts but works fantastic with tuner on above bands. Worked around 228 countries with this antenna! Would not change it for the world! Working with it on 10mts always puts out a "booming signal Andy"

6. KB5UKT

KB5UKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have used the Hustler BTV antennas for 10 yrs now. They work great without radials if they are mounted close to the ground (> 8"). I now have my 6BTV with radial pairs for 10, 15, 20, 40 75 meters. It is mounted 6" off of the ground and the radials dropped the noise floor by about 1 S unit.

Mike KB5UKT

7. KG6WCA

KG6WCA Ham Member QRZ Page

no radial vertical is to good as a drunken snail on a road of molasses on top of a glacier is to fast!

HiHi

Randy
    KG6WCA

8. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

The only vertical antenna I know of that works without radials is a center fed dipole. I have a vertical 20 meter dipole, fed with 450 ohms window line in the center thus making the antenna a doublet. I used EZNEC to check patterns from 40 though 10 meters and the antenna even shows some gain above 40 meters with 12 meters being the best (3 dB). The correct length of window line provides the impedance transformation so my SGC auto-tuner can make the final match on the different bands.

Now for the "good" part of your post, the only problem I've been able to find is, it's "a vertical and receives equally poorly in all directions". It's apparently not a popular antenna, as I can't recall the exact number of times or specific phrasing that I've been told on QRZ "your antenna is crap".

In the antennas defense, I later discovered that W4RNL (sk) had published an article on his website "A Vertical Doublet for 30-10 Meters", which used the same type of feedline method and a 20 meter vertical dipole as the basic building block. As I remember, he thought enough of the antenna to suggest it might be the standard to compare other verticals performance against. His website has all the charts and patterns for the antenna. ;)

Frank:)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  9. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Cushcraft R5, it has no radials such as those used by a Hustler vertical and it works well. Some people say they are useless, not true. Perhaps what they miss is seeing the S meter shoot over the 5/9 plus, ah ! those were the days. Only one cushcraft has to be avoided and that is the 7000.

G0GQK

10. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Agreed.

I've used the R-5, R-7 and now R-8. I've worked the world with them and they work fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.