Good bye 780 Itasca

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by K5UJ, May 30, 2018.

ad: Subscribe
  1. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I lived next store in Roselle 70-73 and went past that site often, and then got transferred back to NH thankfully:cool: Too much empty flat land and poor HF propagation for me:D
    Itasca was also the home of the Groth turns counters.

Carl

2. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

A cropduster pilot has just died after his small aircraft collided with and collapsed a 1200 ft. broadcast tower in Oklahoma this past Wednesday. Now, watch for a knee-jerk reaction, that will ramp up calls for enforcement of that bogus legislation that would require lighting and painting towers higher than 50 ft. It was passed by congress a couple of years ago, but since then, little more has been said about it.

https://www.radiomagonline.com/industry/ktuz-tower-downed-by-cropduster-in-oklahoma

3. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It could be argued that since the plane hit a tall tower already painted and lamped (presumably) or strobed, short towers aren't really the hazard,

4. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

The theory on the broadcast engineering blogs is that GatesAir is pausing AM transmitter production in lieu of increased production of TV transmitters for the Re-Pack shakeup.

BE has been purchased by the Italian company Elenos.

Phil

5. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

6. KB3OUK

KB3OUK Ham Member QRZ Page

KYPA was believed to be the last station in the country using a flattop wire antenna prior to moving.

If you think that 3 stations multiplexed together is impressive, I know of a site out in MN where there are 4 stations multiplexed on a 7 tower array, and each station i believe is running separate day and night patterns, for a total of 8 different patterns.

7. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

8. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's amazing what can be done and in a lot of markets we may wind up with a couple sites in each market for all the AMs. I remember reading about that station in downtown L.A. with the roof hammock. So they finally had to move. Too bad. I've gotten to where when I look at tx shack photos of the rack gear I don't recognize anything. I can tell the rigs and the phasors and that's about it. All the old processing gear I am familiar with is gone.

9. KD0DQZ

KD0DQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

You're correct...St. Cloud, MN (technically Sauk Rapids). 4 AMs...540, 660, 800 & 1010. All with different powers & patterns. Wizard engineer (and ham) Mark Persons put it all together...adding first the 1010 freq and then the 540 to the existing diplexed 660 & 800. And it works...quite well. The 540 @ 250W really gets out, and the 660 & 800 signals are quite strong as well. Don't recall 1010's power, but it's not as strong at my QTH about 75 mi W. Pretty sure the 1010 pattern is oriented in a less advantageous direction from me.

10. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

So much for hambone lore which states antennas must be resonant to work well.

N2EY and KM1H like this.