ad: MarlFlea-1

Good Beginner HF Rig

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N7IFU, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AE5JU

AE5JU Ham Member QRZ Page

That antenna? Sheesh! Out of all the antennas to build you had to pick that one? :rolleyes:

A few notes:

As they always say, cut long and trim it as needed.

A tuner is still needed.

There's a much better center insulator at the end of the article.

Most of all, get some wire in the air and have fun! :D

Paul - AE5JU

2. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

My fan dipole (assembled differently then what you see on the Ham universe site), works 75M/40M/20M (the bands it is cut for) with no tuner. I also do not need the tuner on 6M or 10M. The tuner is necessary on all of the other bands.

I am sure that if I added these bands I would not need the tuner at all.

Tuning was easy, you just have to use your head. 75M tuned in 3 steps, 40M and 20M only required one trip back out to the antenna each. The thing takes 10 seconds to drop (Untie the knots) and about 30 seconds to get it up and pulled tight, and tied back in place.

3. AE5TE

AE5TE Ham Member QRZ Page

So far I am happy with my recently purchased FT450AT and I think it "looks" better in the shack than the pictures in most of the advertisements. Some people don't like the dinky tuning knob (doesn't bother me). It has no bail to lift up the front of the rig off the desktop. But now I always know where to find a roll of electrical tape when I need one.:cool:

I think you will like the IC-718 and at it's price you will save money that will go a long way toward other station necessities. I don't believe it has any available options (like extra filters, etc.) so what you see is what it will be, but compared to anything else in the new market (other than those really pricey niche market brands) you won't find anything easier to operate and the simplicity will likely add to your enjoyment. Not having busted your budget on one piece (and still not having a complete station) will also add to your enjoyment.

4. AE5TE

AE5TE Ham Member QRZ Page

The G5RV is an easy to build or cheap to buy antenna and I have used one off & on (full size). I think it is a decent antenna for 20M and also works well on 75/80 but for me it was never much good on any other band. Your proposed fan dipole will probably work better on any band except maybe 20.

5. KD4KOC

KD4KOC Ham Member QRZ Page

For $50 for a G5RV you can't go wrong. I hear a LOT of bashing this antenna but I have talked from AZ to: Germany, Austria, Hawaii, Mexico, Aruba and a ton of stateside contacs on mine. On 100W. Yes you CAN build one yourself and probably a better one. Given enough time money and knowhow you could also build yourself a space ship, submarine or anything else I suppose. Building antennas is not all that difficult. I have made a few myself. Lots of people will try to impress you by bashing anything that they do not own. Guess I'm not smart enough to understand the "problems" with the G5RV, it suits me just fine. When you hear negativism you should look closely at the source. "See you on the radio."

6. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a little thing called "Antenna Theory" and another called "Side by Side" comparison or as some would call it, Experimentation.

You can build a fan dipole for less than $10 if you use your head.

The G5RV works, but so will a set of bed springs.

The only person being negative here is you. Everybody else is giving advice. You are the only one making generalizations about the folks who are trying to help.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.