Good Beginner HF Rig

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N7IFU, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

That FT-450 doesn't look as ugly in your picture as it does on Universal's website. Actually, It doesn't look bad.

I have to know though, How did you do that Goggle thing?

2. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Dustin:

You are getting a lot of good advice here, and I am sure you will enjoy the adventure. Don't be afraid to try different things - your antenna system is a process as well as a product!

If you try a fan dipole, you can find many different references on the web. You said you liked instructions. Here is a very explicit article:
    http://www.hamuniverse.com/ae5jumultibanddipole.html
    This approach may be more engineered than you need to start out with, but it has a lot of good ideas.

Have fun!

3. N7IFU

N7IFU Ham Member QRZ Page

If I had $1000, I would.

4. N7IFU

Thank you! I think it will be a good little radio for a beginner like me.

5. N7IFU

First, thank you for answering my question! :) Second, I am almost positive that I am going with the 718, I am not sure about the G5RV though. Thanks again!

6. N7IFU

Google Earth is the answer to your question, Google it! Anyway...

7. N7IFU

Thank you!

8. W6SO

W6SO Guest

Dustin -

Not sure if this is your final answer or not. Either way, the Icom 718 is a good radio; I used it during Field Day a few years ago and had no problem sitting down and using it without any prior experience.

As for the antenna, you have a lot of good options, so long has you have some space. A lot of what has been suggested you can build on your own without much effort, most of which will give you good performance, particularly if you can add a tuner.

Although it has some popularity, the G5RV also has some detractors, so you can probably do better than that. I like the Cobra UltraLite, but as with most people, I am guilty of favoring what I already use! What I would like to have, on the other hand, is a SteppIR BigIR vertical, although that would cost more than you want to spend on your rig.

If you stay with some good, basic stuff (rig and antenna) that you can both install and understand easily, you will not go wrong!

9. KC8AHN

KC8AHN Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, I thought the 450 looks bad on Universal's site. They had one on display when I went in to buy a 857D and so I played with it and got the 450 instead, it's ugly, but not as bad as I thought.

As for the google earth thing, I use the HRD logging program. That is the ONLY thing I am using HRD for, I cannot get it to interface with my rig (do not have the proper cable). Once you log something, click the contact, then right click the contact, look for the "lookup" selection, click that and it gives you the option of QRZ or Google Maps. To do what I did, I clicked my top log entry, then scrolled down to my bottom, used my shift key and clicked it, which selected all of my contacts. I did have to go in and put my location on it, otherwise it does not know where you are. Also, you will sometimes get some that show you out in the middle of the ocean, that is because girdsquares and stuff are not accurate or present, once get the gridsquare, it will put it in the right place.

10. KC8AHN

KC8AHN Ham Member QRZ Page

What ever you decide, good luck and hope to hear you on the air.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.