Gonset GSB-100 Modulation Transformer

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by KD4HLV, Apr 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It is not a modulation transformer.

In high-level AM modulation methods the modulation transformer stage provides extra power to the Final stage to increase the carrier level in order to generate the fully modulated AM waveform.

The transformers in question here simply amplifies the quadrature phases and provides the proper impedance matching to the Balanced Modulator circuit. The actual carrier suppression is taking place in the Balanced Modulator.

Different system, different modulation methods.

Pheel

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  2. AC0OB

What Gonset denotes as the 'Modulation" transformers (T2,T3) in their parts listing is incorrect. These are "Quadrature" transformers.

Pheel

3. KD4HLV

KD4HLV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Attached Files:

• p33.png
      p33.png
      File size:
      190.3 KB
      Views:
  4. KD4HLV

5. AC0OB

Yes, for the Nth time it is incorrect to call those transformers "Modulation" transformers, as they are Quadrature transformers.

If you are serious, contact me by email if you want those transformers so we don't violate any Buy and Sell rules.

Pheel

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  6. KD4HLV

I sent you an email on your QRZ page
    TNX!

7. AC0OB

I don't know if you pulled your emails and you do not list an email address. but I have technical info on those "pulled" transformers for you.

8. AC0OB

I don't know if you pulled your emails or what since I cannot find any message in my inbox, and you do not list an email address. but I have technical info on those "pulled" transformers for you.

I had to drill out 'steel' rivets that had been soldered on the other side.

Pheel

9. KD4HLV

I just sent you an email. TNX

10. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

A "modulation transformer" is an audio transformer that feeds directly to a modulated stage. Most often thought of as the transformer used for plate modulation, but the term can describe a transformer that modulates the control grid or screen grid, or in the case of cathode modulation, a transformer with a tapped secondary to determine the ratio of plate vs control grid modulation (since cathode modulation is actually a combination of the two). If each one of the two transformers in the GSB directly feeds a balanced modulator (either diode switching or class-C), then technically they are modulation transformers.

A matter of semantics; what's important is that you found the transformer(s) you need.

KD4HLV and N2EY like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.