ad: Amateur-1

Gonset G76

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by N2DTS, Jun 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

2. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

$376.25, even in to-day's dollarettes, would be about 10 times what it's worth.

AD5HR and N2EY like this.
  3. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

I now have a little AM station using Gonset G76 and G77. Both are unmodified and no mods are needed. My combo modulator and power supply is home brew. Modulator uses a pair of p-p 1635 tubes. This is a dual triode with both triodes in the envelope connected in parallel giving at least 30 Watts audio. Mod transformer is a UTC S-20.

Attached Files:

K3XR and KA0HCP like this.
  4. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Obviously, fat fingers (the "7" is right next to the "6")! :rolleyes:

The photograph is of the G-66 receiver and G-77 transmitter.

I don't have a G-77 but do have a G-66B receiver.

019b.jpg

Glen, K9STH

5. WA8NVW

WA8NVW Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't forget the Polycomm 6, 2, and 6n2 for the Technician Class licensees of the 60's. There were also 6M and 2M mono-banders from both Heath and Clegg.

6. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. G66 is more like it. Nice receiver, but hard to work on. Parts are crammed two-deep in some places.

7. K9STH

BSU:

Not only are the parts cramped in the G-66 series, but in some units shields are soldered in place and are virtually impossible to unsolder and remove for servicing.

Glen, K9STH

8. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Got the radio today and JS'd up a power supply and gave it a run.
    40 watts out, 150+ pep, sounds like a stock G76, clean and clear audio.
    W3MMR (Perry) liked the audio!
    I am surprised it works, it looks to have been unused for a long time and has a bit of rust.
    Needs a good cleaning, some basic mods and a power connector.

9. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Still going through the radio, its got all original tubes (marked gonset).
    It seems to work ok in a basic way but picks up rtty on 3885 when a strong signal is there, some alignment issue I suppose, and it only seems to put out 50 watts carrier.
    100% mod is easy, but at 150 ma (or more) it only puts out 50 watts carrier and most will do 70.
    I have 725 volts high voltage and 300 low voltage going in. Grid drive is good, more grid current (drive) gives less power output.

10. K9STH

DTS:

The G-76 was rated at 100-watts INPUT, not output!

The typical rated output was 60-watts carrier and that is going to be on 75-meters with new tubes. An output of 50-watts is what the target output should really be. That output will result in the best tube life and the difference between 50-watts and 60-watts will not be noticed on the other end of the QSO.

By the time you get to the 10-meter band, the output is going to be more like 40-watts. Such lower output is very common with tube-type transmitters.

Glen, K9STH

N2EY likes this.