Gonset G-76 AM/CW/SSB Transceiver

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N6YW, Mar 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Greetings
    Just in from the "Can't get enough radios" department...
    I am coming into a Gonset G-76 transceiver complete with power supply and parts donor rig.
    This is a rather interesting radio as it's small footprint and multi mode ability might make one
    wonder what's under the hood. It's apparently a good performer as my friend AJ7O states, and is
    also who is selling it to me. Perfect size for portable use.
    Well, it's a plate modulated rig using 6DQ6B's as modulators into a single 6DQ5 or so my schematic says.
    It's pretty straight forward and looks like a candidate for the upcoming Titan Missile Museum Discone AM
    Party, date to be announced.
    I will post more on the rig when it comes into my hands after next week.
    Does anyone have any Hints & Kinks they would like to share regarding this cool rig?
    73 de Billy N6YW

AF6LJ likes this.
  2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking forward to a shot of Gonset Goodness.

3. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

I am envious at the amount of fun you folks are having.

AF6LJ likes this.
  4. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Not a bad little tube transceiver for a Wire and Spring company.

IMHO, their choice of final (6DQ5) was an excellent choice in terms of low cost and toughness.

One of my future bench projects is an EICO 753 which also has a small footprint. I have to build a PS for it before I work on it.

Phil

N6YW and AF6LJ like this.
  5. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember the G-76.....from Field Day 1968....

Interesting rig - definitely AM-centric! There was an ER article about it years ago.

It's not really a "transceiver" in the modern sense, though; almost nothing in it is shared between receiver and transmitter. It's a transmitter and receiver in the same box. The receiver is dual conversion with 262 kc. second IF. The transmitter is the classic VFO/multipliers/final type. AM/CW only!

Note that the VFO doesn't work on 6 meters even though the rig covers that band. For 6 you use either crystals or an external VFO.

From what I know there weren't many made and it wasn't on the market long. IMHO, Gonset was trying to adapt the "station in a box/use it mobile and at home" concept to AM.

Pictures please?

73 de Jim, N2EY

N6YW likes this.
  6. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a G-76 and the matching AC power supply for a while. It worked OK.

Then, a friend offered me a virtually brand new condition RME-6900 receiver in trade for the G-76. Made the trade and never looked back!

OB:

The infamous Eico Seven Drifty Three SSB transceiver! Especially with the tube type VFO they drift badly. With the solid-state VFO not quite so bad but still drift a pretty good amount!

Glen, K9STH

7. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

A friend had one of those in the early 60s. It really wasn't AM/SSB/CW as advertised. Like my S-38, it could demodulate those modes. But, as I recall it only transmitted CW and plate modulated AM. No SSB.

But, they were very purrty!

I'm thinking my old SBE-33 was probably the successor to that rig. It provided the missing SSB from the G-76. Why Mr. Gonset ever chose that baby blue color for the SBE-33 cabinet and knobs is beyond me, after his very handsome previous Gonset rigs.

Ken
    K8KJG

AF6LJ likes this.
  8. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

KJG:

Probably for the same reason National chose the blue for the NC-270! :rolleyes:

Glen, K9STH

AF6LJ likes this.
  9. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My Seven Fitty Three has the solid-state VFO. Cute little thing. Has a boatload of 7199's and a 7360 balanced modulator, but will transmit AM/SSB/CW.

Phil

AF6LJ likes this.
  10. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a few many years ago.
    I can only say about the ones I had:

Very tough, used in the rain, over voltage (700 volts or more), at 120% power output, and never one single problem,

70 to 80 watts carrier output, some have gotten them up to 100 watts pushing the voltage,

Stable receiver and TX vfo but the vfo knob is really small and tunes fast, maybe use a crystal for your favorite frequency,

Receiver is very good and tunes nice, the 262 KHz IF cans have a small cap across them from primary to secondary that can be played with along with the resistors across the primary and secondary, you can narrow the receiver up, or widen it,

A really nice looking radio, and its small, and a complete station in a box, power supply is seperate.

I built a small IC chip audio amp that ran off rectified filament power to do the receive audio to clean it up, the receive audio output tube and transformer is also the modulator driver section for the transmitter.

The rig uses the 6DQ6 modulator tubes as class B driving the supressor grids.
    Very easy to work on, slide the case off and everything is right there.
    Cozy look with the lighted dial and meter.
    Has low and high power out switch.
    Has a bfo for CW.
    It likes plenty of grid drive, I increased it in mine by a driver resistor change.

I think its the ONE vintage ham rig I would think about getting because of the above.
    70 watts out,
    Built in RX and TR relay,
    Small,
    Really good looking (to me),
    Very easy to work on and move about.

Stock, the audio needs work and the vfo is not the best.

N6YW and AF6LJ like this.