ad: Amateur-1

Gonset 6m Communicator model 3049

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KC8ZUF, Dec 22, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC8ZUF

KC8ZUF Ham Member QRZ Page

I think this is my first post to this forum so here goes....

I am now the proud owner of one of the Gonset 6m Communicator model 3049 classics and would like to find a copy of the complete manual set. I have found the schematic after searching but know that there had to be more than just the schematic. If anyone out there has the manual set for this beauty and would be willing to sell it, copy it or scan and e-mail it, I would love to hear from you.

I also understand that there was a Gonset VFO for use with this radio and I would be interested in acquiring one of these as well. So, if you have access to one I would like to hear about it too!

I am looking forward to getting this radio back into operation and on to our local clubs Sunday 6m AM net. Any and All help is appreciated! 73s.

Brian - KC8ZUF

2. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

The model 3049 falls under the Communicator category of Communicator IIB. You have to be careful since Gonset had a bunch of schematics for the generic "Communicator" series. I have the the correct documentation for your specific 6 M Communicator IIB.

3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

4. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

If you prefer a print copy you might look on ebay, there are several sellers of manuals for ham gear.

5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I think this would be the VFO for your Gonset don't remember the model number.
    [​IMG]
    (Likely not the original tuning and on/off knob )

W7UUU likes this.
  6. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, the only original knob is the band selector knob (blue knob). The other 2-knobs are definitely not original.

Gonset also had a VFO that had the 220 MHz band as well as the 2-meter band and 6-meter band for the Communicator IV units that would work fine with the Communicator IIB and Communicator III. That was the model 3357.

There are other VFOs that will work fine with the Gonset 6-meter and 2-meter Communicators including the Heath HG-10 / HG-10B and the National VFO-62.

vfo-1a.JPG

Glen, K9STH

K3XR likes this.
  7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Have the Hallicrafters HA-5 I need to get working which would also work.
    [​IMG]

W7UUU likes this.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

AWESOME old VFO... arguably the best external "all purpose" VFO ever sold. I have one on the bench I need to finish restoring soon... it works but the cabinet needs painting, the logo is missing, and I need to install the correct knobs (sent to me gratis by a very generous QRZ'er!)

Then it will be on the air with the Globe Scout 680 and not too far down the road, a Heathkit DX-20

I hope your restoration goes well - it's a pretty simple device. I had no trouble getting mine up and running nicely.

Of course, 6 and 2 meter crystals were NOT included from the factory! They were extra.

Dave
    W7UUU

9. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Except NO schematics.

A mating Gonset VFO would be model 3357 which had in its life cycle two color schemes but there were a number of 8 MHz VFO's that would work fine with the Communicator series.

10. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

From what I can determine that is correct the crystals needed for 6 n 2 operation had to be ordered from Hallicrafters and were not stock with the VFO.