Golf Cart Battery venting

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by WQ6N, May 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WQ6N

WQ6N Ham Member QRZ Page

My large AGM died last week. So, I do have a few sets of 6vdc golf cart batteries from Costco. I have been doing some research on potential solutions to bayonet battery vent caps. I was thinking of modifying standard vent caps, the ones with two holes, and making use of 90 degree drip system barbs.

I did create a vent system that uses a small boat fuel ventilation port and a hose running to the internal battery box.

This morning I was doing additional research on Flow-Rite battery vent caps . Centered around the RV2000 kit that is used for filling water to pairs of golf cart batteries. There was also the single manifold that is designed with the standard 2.7in bayonet vent caps. One question I had, if these systems are used for water distribution what happens to the outgoing gases? I do know that they have a built in spark protection. $45 for a set that will work with 2 golf cart batteries seems pretty steep.

Any experience to share?

2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I assume you want to run the batteries in the house. I'd invest in a good battery box to prevent spills, and use a forced air system to vent the batteries to the outside. I'd be leary of sucking the fumes through a fan, unless the fan is sealed and designed for an explosive environment.

N0TZU likes this.
  3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Last time I looked into this, flooded lead acid batteries weren't allowed in a habitable space without a sealed box with ventilation to the outside and spill containment, as mentioned above. Personally I wouldn’t have them inside my house at all.

K7TRF likes this.
  4. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Outside is best. Battery box should be wood with fiberglass for protection. Plexiglass cover for visual inspection. Pressurize with boat bilge fan & duct fumes away from anything alive or corrodible.
    In home is just asking for damage, injury & COPD.
    The gasses can also severely corrode evaporator coils in HVAC systems.

Ed

KA0HCP likes this.
  5. WQ6N

WQ6N Ham Member QRZ Page

Well this is a mobile forum.... But rest assured, all the batteries are in a proper enclosure. I use T-105 boxes. Of course, the boxes are strapped to the vehicle frame at multiple points.

The area is in a enclosed space. There are safeguards installed based on maritime designs. I usually over engineer things anyway but there is always something new to learn from others. I do like the Flow-Rite venting systems and may just have to "bite the bullet" to insure a quality venting system.

For reference, a pool cleaner hose is very flexible and is corrugated. The ribs of the hose make an excellent seal on the T-105 lead cutouts. A vacuum is created when the vehicle is in motion via the thru hull gas tank vent. Venting systems, such as a GMC Acadia, are fairly simple tubing. Those enclosures are almost air tight.

6. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, forgot where I was.

Ed

7. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

So what is the vehicle, and where in the vehicle will the batteries be?

8. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Mercedes was comfy doing flooded cell batteries in their vans by using the ones with a vent tube. My van had a secondary 100 Ah battery under the passenger seat with the vent hose exiting through the floor. No enclosure, only a drip tray.

9. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

N0TZU likes this.