"Going up the Country" - new QTH coming!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Sep 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

With the occasional freezing rain events too

2. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like 'humidity' will be your main concern. Perhaps a De-humidifier that drains to the outside would help with that problem... there are ceramic heaters that could take the chill from the 800 sq. ft. on those days that are in the 40's & you don't want to keep the wood heater stoked.

Steve / W5BIB

3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep. In the plans. One thing at a time - if I'm freezing my ass off, it's not much fun to get the dehumidifier running now is it :) :D

Dave
    W7UUU

4. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Commercial DOES make a difference http://www.overheaddoor.com/thermacore-sectional-steel-doors-599

5. WA9WVX

WA9WVX Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave,

I just started to read this thread and looked at your property and two story home and thought, Ann must be thrilled to be able to live out in the countryside away from neighbors leaning over the fence trying to hear any conversations. I can say I'm a bit jealous of you & Ann but it's too late for Karen & I to attempt this kind of purchase.

I hope you'll have your remote ham shack well insulated be for the snow flies as I would imagine it could be rather cold while operating out there during the winter months. I also feel you're going to be busy doing maintenance work in the immediate area around the house and out buildings -- pace yourself. You'll have plenty of wood to burn in those fireplaces ... just a matter of taking chainsaw, cutting some trees down, hauling them back near the house or shed and stacking them up for a cord or two.

I can envision one or two 100' towers for your antenna farm ... you'll be just like the other Big Guns out in Washington State. I wish You & Ann many happy years at your new homestead.:D:)

Dan
    WA9WVX

WZ7U, W5BIB and W7UUU like this.
  6. N7ZAL

N7ZAL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've done exactly what you are doing...twice. :)

24-7 heat is a must, even if at a just above freezing temp. If the space is cold, anything metal will have condensation on it unless it is heated. Obvious, but condensation means rust.

A de-humidifier is nice, but I never had one.

I did have a wood stove but only as a supplemental heat source. Also some kerosene heaters.

The overhead doors were a problem so I had to frame them in, and then insulate.

A ceiling is a must and provides a nice "attic" space for storage. I also had "drop down" stairs.

Good luck and it can be a pain...until done, and then reap the efforts of your labor. :)

W7UUU likes this.
  7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for your opinion...
    ...and have a nice day. ;)

Dave @W7UUU, since we're close, I'd love to get the nickle tour (when you're up to it).

8. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That would be awesome Bryan!! Let's work out "day and time" offline... would love to have you out to see the place

It's only about 15 minutes "other side of the Narrows Bridges" - maybe 45 minutes from the Kingston Ferry dock coming the other way - super easy to find either way

Lunch on me at "Charlie's Cafe" - our new fave diner just up the road on Bethel Road

Dave
    W7UUU

9. WA7PRC

A local fellow supplies "North Idaho Energy Logs" (link), tightly-compressed sawdust. I've run them for many years in my woodstove. They're said to produce more heat than mixed split wood, and produce less creosote and pollutants. I see there are several sellers in/near P.O. on the Kitsap Penninsula. :)

I like them 'cuz they stack nicely, you don't have bugs, and don't have to cut anything down.

KA2CZU, NL7W and W7UUU like this.
  10. WA7PRC

Groovy! :)

W7UUU likes this.