Going to try my first SKCC 2 hour sprint Tuesday.. any tips or advice

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KQ4MM, Sep 24, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. KQ4MM

KQ4MM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good afternoon everyone;

As the topic reads, I'm going to jump in and try my first ever SKCC 2 hour sprint this coming Tuesday.. This will be my first attempt of any kind of formal or in-formal CW contest. I understand the exchange format;

AC2C DEKQ4MM HR 589 TN BRIAN 17450 BK

But how does it start, end and whats the CQ call, CQ SKS CQ SKS DE KQ4MM K

Also any tips on what to expect besides lots of fun...

2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Nitpick mode...

You don't really need to send HR before the RST. If you think about it, where else would it be? ;)

Your CQ string looks good, depending on conditions and activity you may want to send the CQ SKS only once, judge that when you get going.

After you finish a contact before launching a new CQ pause for a moment to listen for callers, you'll often get 'tail enders' who copied your previous qso.

Have fun!

3. KQ4MM

@WR2E not a nitpick at all, I would much rather jump in and go with the flow vs swimming up stream and clogging things up...

So would it go something like this

ME -- CQ SKS DE KQ4MM
    RESPONSE -- K5ABC
    ME -- K5ABC 599 TN BRIAN 71450 BK
    RESPONSE -- KQ4MM 599 TX LARRY 12345 BK
    ME -- TU KQ4MM

Pause and listen before calling CQ again

4. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

If you haven't already done so, download the SKCC logger....

5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks good, but response 2 from k5abc probably won't start with your callsign, but rather BK.

SKCCers usually send 73 GL.

Don't over think it, once you get rolling it will all fall into place.

6. KQ4MM

Got it ... Thanks @WR2E ... and @KC3RN I have SKCClogger up and running.. already tracking my progress to centurion. Along that line was thinking starting a separate log for the sprint, then merging the two taking out duplicates? sound right?

ME -- CQ SKS DE KQ4MM
    RESPONSE -- K5ABC
    ME -- K5ABC 599 TN BRIAN 71450 BK
    RESPONSE -- BK 599 TX LARRY 12345 BK
    ME -- GL 73 KQ4MM

7. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

Brian, as others have said, don't overthink it. You might want to think about answering a few CQ SKS calls rather than call CQ yourself at first. If you need to go slow, do so. Nearly everybody will match your speed. Don't be afraid to ask for a repeat.

I'll listen for you and hope to work you this SKS!

73 de Steve

8. KQ4MM

@KE4OH ... Thanks Steve. and will do.. Hey, did you realize that you were my first CW QSO since getting back on the air and re-learning CW? Couldn't remember if I told you that or not during the QSO or on the zed somewhere ...

73 de Brian

KC3BZJ likes this.
  9. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

You put that on your QSL card! I'm honored. As I recall, you did just fine. I was off the air for 33 years. So I have some idea of what it's like to jump back into CW after a long rest ...

10. KQ4MM

Just finished .... that was like drinking from a fire hose ... WOW ... I jumped right it, but was swept away a few times for sure ... Called CQ a few times and worked a few stations that way, but chased CQ's the rest of the time... The exchange seemed to have some extra stuff that I missed a lot since I was operating a good bit above my speed limit most of the time ... Managed to make 8 QSOs for a score of 156...

W7UUU and K3XR like this.