ad: elecraft

Going Lightweight / Extremely Portable. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KK4NSF, Nov 11, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That depends on your definition of Tropical. Being able to spend time outdoors with only a light jacket might seem "tropical" to many Russians. :D

KC8VWM and NH7RO like this.
  2. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Aha! Charles must have been thinking about some sand bars in the Black Sea in the middle of July. Suggestion retracted just slightly...:D

KC8VWM likes this.
  3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Russians on tropical island.

K8AI, NH7RO and US7IGN like this.
  4. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Nyet "Gilligan's"---Gorbachov's Island!

KC8VWM likes this.
  5. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Spent some time with my MTR3B during a 3 day car camping trip. It surprised my how long I could operate on a 9V battery or 8 AAA batteries. It worked well into my tripod/pole/laundry reel antenna. I also used my FT891 and it was much easier to make contacts with.....cant't beat a 100W rig with a 3-5W rig! I was operating my 891 on SSB and MTR3B on CW.

My next trip will be backpacking with the MTR3B. I've recently picked up the LNR end fed 40/30/20M antenna. It will be easier than deploying a 20 foot pole/tripod in the woods.

The portable antenna winder and use of RG-174 feeder makes the LNR end fed a great backpacking unit. I'm looking forward to my next trip.

K8AI likes this.
  6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

That sounds great and I have a few different antenna's I use depending on what i'm doing. The laundry reel is great for stuff like car camping and field day, but I use a much lighter setup for hiking out in the woods.

I admit i'm not a fan of end fed antennas, but what you have should probably work just fine for what your're doing.

In my own situation, I made up a portable multi-band link dipole antenna I constructed for this purpose.

link dipole.jpg

Antenna fits inside this 5" x 5" plastic storage case and I can throw it inside my backpack. I like using the storage case better than using a ziplock bag mostly because it slides in and out of the pockets of the backpack better than a plastic bag does. The case is a lot more durable and longer lasting too. It's just some kind of computer tape backup case from the 1990's.

link dipole.jpg

Also RG-316 has much better specs than RG-174 does and it's just as light to carry. Not sure if you knew that, but you do now. :)

I attached the construction design details of this antenna to this post as a .pdf document if you're interested. This antenna was specifically cut and designed to be used with a lightweight 20' tall telescopic composite fishing pole as a portable antenna mast.

72 !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    KG5WXW, W7CJD and K8AI like this.
  7. WD0BCT

I had better access to premade connector/cables on RG174 ... I'm also using RG174 on my home stealth antenna so I’m familiar with it. Specs are not that different.
    The positive thing about the end fed is that it is convenient to throw up into a tree. Carrying and supporting a pole can be a pain. My 20 ft pole was blown over last week on a car camping experience. While back packing supports are more of a problem.

KC8VWM likes this.
  8. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Four lightweight Cue Are Pee operashun, station grounding are all important. Be sure to bring along a 5 gallon bucket of soil with a copper rod pounded into it. Really makes a yuge difference in many ways!

9. WD0BCT

Can't fit a 5 gallon bucket in my backpack. Do you recommend an 8' ground rod driven into the bucket? ;)

10. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thet cud werk!
    Sevendy threeze,
    Kay Dee Ate Zee Em