ad: ProAudio-1

Going For the SKCC Marathon Award

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KE8CTH, Jul 6, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE8CTH

KE8CTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I had my first one hour QSO the other day with Bill WA4FAT and it was awesome. I really would like to get this award. I was not aware of this award prior to the QSO. I have been a CW op for a couple of years but not all that fast on the key. Right now I am comfortable for ragchewing at 10-12 WPM. If any are interested in setting up a sked to help get this award (and also for yourself), post on this thread and we can set up a time. Hope to see you on the air.

NG9F and N2AMM like this.
  2. WA9FZB

WA9FZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Does RCC still exist? RCC was the ARRL "Rag Chewers' Club" and it was quite popular when I was a Novice (1962). I think they only required a 30 minute rag chew with another RCC member.

3. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not going for any awards now, but I got a little curious about whether we had worked or not on SKCC events. I think maybe once. Then I looked at your call sign on the SKCC web site and noticed you don't seem to have anything listed in the ragchew section. Have you checked out their web site to see all they have in the way of challenges? Last time I looked they recognized SKCC 'legal' QSOs of 30 minutes or longer, plus several other little things you can achieve. Get your code up in the process.
    I have a modest station, and frankly I'm not sure i can do 10-12 wpm for an hour, but give me an email. We might try it, if you like.

N2AMM likes this.
  4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Working for the SKCC Marathon award, at a very low WPM almost seems like cheating ! :eek:
    If I tried to run a Marathon QSO at 35 WPM I am sure I would run out of things to discuss pretty Quickly... !! ! :rolleyes:
    My Idea of a Marathon QSO at 1 WPM sould be..."YOU ARE RST 599 QTH DETROIT MI NAME JOHN 73 CUL"

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

No they did away with the program years ago. RCC was usually the very first award a new ham could earn back then.... and since the entry was usually as a CW-bound Novice, achieving a 30 minute QSO was often a challenge.

But my very first QSO as a new ham was with Nick Winter WA7IVO (now K7MO and still a good friend) - he kept me going in QSO for a full 33 minutes to qualify! I got the original RCC certificate but it was lost in a fire years ago - the ARRL was very kind and dug around until they found some old forms and reissued it some years ago.

Here's the QSL from Nick...

Dave
    W7UUU

qsl back.JPG

K8PG and W5ESE like this.
  6. W5ESE

W5ESE Ham Member QRZ Page

The 'Society for the Preservation of Amateur Radio' took up the Rag Chewer's Club award program for a while, but they seem to have disappeared.

Good on SKCC for keeping a similar program in place.

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm slowly working on this. Do yourself a favor--download the SKCC Logger program from the SKCC website. It'll keep you organized and has a function that will help you apply for awards.

Me? Slow going right now. Of course, that's mostly because the rule I've imposed on myself: not only will I (natch) use a straight key, that key will be connected to my HW-16. :)

K8PG likes this.
  8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not sure why not doing 35 wpm is "cheating." I'll work anybody at a speed they are comfortable with, whether that is five or twenty-five. One thing I have noticed? While there are exceptions, sure, most SKCC QSOs I've had are friendly ones that go beyond name/QTH/report. ;)