ad: UR5CDX-1

Going for the big E!

Discussion in 'Becoming a Ham - Q&A' started by KK4JW, Sep 29, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KK4JW

KK4JW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ordered an Extra study guide and am beginning studying tonight. Ready for that 2X2 call and some additional frequency perks!

N6QIC and KV6O like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

All the very best to you!! Be sure to let us know when you pass :)

"bro bumps"

bumps.jpg

Dave
    W7UUU

N6QIC likes this.
  3. N6QIC

N6QIC Ham Member QRZ Page

Lisa_Flower_Deleted_Post.jpg

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  4. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Good luck on your studying. You can use the practice exams on QRZ to see how your studying is progressing. I took, and passed, the Advanced and Extra written tests at the same VE session. I found the practice exams really helped me be ready.

You might want to hold off on the 2x2 until you get your Extra. You may get a good call, but you also might get a horrible call. Once you get the extra you can look through the available call signs and pick something that you like.

Also, there is nothing wrong with a 1x3 for an Extra. Its kind of fun really. When they hear a 1x3 in the Extra portion of the band, you can almost feel them scrambling to look up you call sign.

5. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Ham Member QRZ Page

There are some regions where the callsign rules are different, but the poster lists a Kentucky address. So what option other than to "hold off" on that 2x2 did you have in mind?

6. K7MEM

I'm not sure I understand this at all, but I will try to elaborate. There are certain restrictions for regions outside the US (e.g. Alaska,..), but that's all listed on the web sites that list the available call signs. Other than that, I don't know what differences you are talking about.

When you take, and pass, your Extra exam, you have the option of getting a new call sign selected by the FCC. Or, you can keep your current call sign. Once you receive notice that your FCC records are updated to reflect your new class, you can go to web sited like AE7Q, and see what call signs are available. Then you can apply for a vanity call sign. When I put in for my vanity call sign, I had to pay. But now, vanity call signs are free and can be handled on-line.

When I upgraded to Extra, I could have received a new call sign. But I chose to wait for all the paperwork to get through the system and then applied for a vanity call sign. When I tested, the VE thought that was an odd thing to do. But that was my choice.

This was before they dropped the Morse requirements and whet to a three class system. I knew there would be a glut on all of the 1x2 and 2x1 call signs very soon, but I didn't like any of them. I have nothing against 2x2, 1x2, or 2x1 call signs, but I chose the one you see now. And, even though I didn't consider it then, it works very nicely on CW and SSB. I have never had anyone get it wrong.

7. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I clearly understand all that. The misunderstanding here is one of assumptions.

I read the initial post as being READY FOR A 2x2 VANITY. You suggested HOLDING OFF ON A 2x2 SEQUENTIAL (without being specific). When we assume everyone knows exactly what we mean, they usually don't.

8. K7MEM

The initial post said nothing about vanity call sign at all. Since it wasn't specified, my assumption is just as good as yours.

9. KK4JW

KK4JW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A solid week of studying so far - I'm learning most of the material, but having a tough time remembering some of the more difficult things. Scoring in the high 60%'s on the practice exams with some fluke 74's and 75's. I'd like to be in the 90's consistently.

Some of this stuff is tricky.. Calculating Polar Coordinates comes to mind..

10. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

KK4JW likes this.