ad: ARR

Go Fund Me for homeless ham/ navy vet

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by AK4OO, Jul 11, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. AK4OO

AK4OO Subscriber QRZ Page

wt2tt Tom Hickey does not know I started this go fund me page for him...let's keep it a secret for a while..
    He has been living out of his van with 3 dogs in tow.at 72/73 yrs old .. he can use our help getting a travel trailer to live in ..I found him a cheep lot and got him a few free months but he can't live in a van..
    so anybody who can help a fellow ham....
    https://www.gofundme.com/elderly-vet-needs-a-home
    I have no Pecuniary interest myself... thank you..
    73 ak4oo joe

N6QIC and W5BIB like this.
  2. AK4OO

Did I mention Tom is a navy vet ..
    My first contact was with Tom ...
    He has been an elmer to many..
    He is a nice guy..
    He spent part of the day today at the VA.
    He treats his dogs better than he treat's himself.
    Theirs so much more...
    I have checked local resources for him ..
    not much they could do with his dogs.
    Tom will not give them up.
    7 3 for now and thanks ...to qrz for letting me post the link ...they don't normally do so.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  3. AK4OO

Update: Tom handed me $200 cash to hold today..
    I an Not sure if Tom knows yet about the "go fund me" yet...I have not told him...
    Tom spent weekend setting up chain link fence for his dogs.. still sleeping in his van with the pups every night.. look's like he is trying to turn things around.. he could use your help.
    73 ak4oo

4. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sometimes, it's all too easy to slip between the cracks. I'm sure that every little bit will help.
    You're a good man Joseph.

Steve / W5BIB (ex NAVY 1964-72)

N6QIC likes this.
  5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there a way to use Paypal on GoFundMe? I don't see it if it's there...

6. AK4OO

Hello wr2e ...
    Thanks wanting to help Tom.
    this is a cut and past answer from gofund me.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

GoFundMe only accepts donations via PayPal to Certified Charity campaigns created after November 3, 2016.

All Personal campaigns (as well as Certified Charity campaigns created prior to November 3, 2016) accept donations by credit or debit cards only.

If you're unable to donate using a credit or debit card, you can always get in touch with the Campaign Organizer to ask whether they're able to receive your donation another way.

To do this, visit the campaign you'd like to donate to and click or tap the envelope icon next to the Campaign Organizer’s name. This will allow you to send them a direct message.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tom has not updated his address yet .he went down to local post on saturday to find they were closed .
    I guess:
    personal checks could be made out to Tom Hickey c/o J.Wallauer
    see my qrz page...I would hold ..till "cats out of bag"
    but would rather funds go to the gofundme...

update: I feed Tom some homemade pizza tonight and he talked about finding a trailer and what radio equipment he could sell at tacfest next month... he say's he has a kenwood speaker and went into all his other broken equipment..
    he has a smart phone but for the most part does not have access to the internet just yet..
    I talked to n2jdk Hoyt a good longtime friend of toms he said he would help spread the word....
    73 for now..

7. AK4OO

Thank you for You service Steve..
    and every bit will help.
    I am sure Tom will thank you once we spring it on him ...
    .I am still looking to find him some credit counseling.
    He has some debt that needs attention.
    maybe they can get some of it reduced??
    All I can do is try...
    73..ak4oo joe

8. N6QIC

N6QIC Database Team QRZ Page

Hello Joseph,

If your friend is homeless, he is eligible for food stamps. If he does not have food stamps already you need to help him apply. He will get the max amount if he is homeless and it is well worth the effort for him to apply.

I went without food stamps for 6 years on the street until my friend insisted that I apply. You can help him apply online and it will be one of the best things that you can do to help him. We, me and my dogs would not have made it in the van without our food stamps to buy our food with.

I have always worked at a part time job but still there was nothing left over for food before I had food stamps.

Wow a trailer, would also be great for him if there is not to many expenses attached to it. When you are homeless and need to move the van you can go anywhere. But you can't have a trailer or motor home on the street. The cops will ticket you and hassle you every day, day and night. He will need a permanent place to keep the trailer, hopefully with AC power.

Great job on helping the homeless.
    Thank you,
    73, Lisa

KW4EK, W5BIB and W7UUU like this.
  9. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You mentioned in another post that Tom had been to a VA appointment which would indicate to me, that he may have a percentage of disability.

The VA has a "Stand-Down Program" that may be able to assist Tom in some way. Any of the service organizations such as the DAV, VFW, American Legion offer FREE advice & representation for homeless and/or disabled vets.
    You might encourage him to check with one of these organizations to see what's available in the way of help for him.

Here's a VA website about their "Stand-Down Program":
    https://www.va.gov/health/NewsFeatures/20110927a.asp

p.s. I highly recommend the DAV. (from personal experience)

Steve / W5BIB

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  10. AK4OO

yes the topic of food stamps has been covered and as I said their is a lot more to story...with tom..
    but that is coming ..
    he has 2 van's and a car ..all high mileage ..little value.. Tom has a friend Larry wd4nhg who may buy one and then...
    he may be eligible for food stamps
    ... any funds from autos-radio- are earmarked to go to the trailer.
    and yes I remember getting run off when I had a motor home ...
    now many rv'ers use walmart parking lots..
    but yes Tom will have his own meter and septic tank to connect too. for now he just has an extension cord to run a fan in the van. The best I can do...
    Owner of the lot wants him in travel trailer not living in a van..She is due back in mid Sept. for a vacation and to visit her daughter in town .. She has 3 son one navy ,one working for NASA and one army vet. She is willing to let me help Tom ..
    73.. and thanks 4 your help...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    N6QIC likes this.