ad: elecraft

Go box RF power amp

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KN4NSZ, Jun 12, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KN4NSZ

KN4NSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am building an ultra compact HF go box and have been looking at installing an rf amp because the radios output is only 10w. I have seen small 100w amps on ebay and other sites for $100-$200 but do companies make amps that are 30-40w and therefore less drain on the batter

I would like to know if you have seen small RF amps or have one for sale.
    :)

2. WA4OHZ

WA4OHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

You're talking about building a "go box". Do you plan on having to carry it or are looking at storing it in the back of a car and driving someplace? It the latter, you might want to think about a 100W 12V Solar Panel Kit Battery Charger like this:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-solar-Battery-Controller-Brackets-Mounting/dp/B085XYMZ7S/

This would allow you to charge your battery while running the rig and allow you
    to use a bigger amp. In addition, you can cut back on your drive from your exciter thus cutting back on the outpower.

John WA4OHZ

3. KN4NSZ

KN4NSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I found a solar charger that works with lithium iron phosphate batteries' like the bioenno battery. I want to make my box as small as possible so I am going to try and find a cheaper folding solar panel.

4. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The inexpensive amps I have seen are absolutely not type-accepted and should not be considered.

There is one called the "Hardrock 50" which will work with under 5 watts drive and has a clean output.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    WA9UAA likes this.
  5. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Tell us more about your box?