Gmail - Mail that simply disappears?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KA3VSP, Jul 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KA3VSP

KA3VSP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've used gmail for many years, and I'm still amazed how poorly it works. Things simply don't make sense. Often, I have email that simply disappears. Not only recent email, but email that I know that I've moved to other folders. And, sometimes, the email will magically reappear.

This morning, I had a message in my spam folder that was not spam, so I clicked it and then clicked 'Not Spam'. I'll be darn if I can find that message now.

Has anyone ever mastered gmail? Is there a secret? Do I need a decoder ring?

2. KM4FVI

KM4FVI Ham Member QRZ Page

Sign of the times with big brother…..read your agreement with them!

US7IGN likes this.
  3. N5AF

N5AF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You get what you pay for. ;)

Protonmail is a much better alternative. https://protonmail.com/

Started using them in 2017. No issues at all. My YL switched to them for business-related email needs on a paid account and has had zero issues.

I recommend reading their blog postings from the link on their main page before signing up. It will give you an understanding of the organization. From the blog of the Protonmail CEO: https://protonmail.com/blog/tech-ceos-hearing/

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    KC7JNJ and KK9W like this.
  4. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I've used Gmail for many years both for personal and work and never had or heard of mail disappearing.

When you report "Not spam", it moves to your inbox but don't forget that the inbox remains sorted, probably by date so if you move an older spam message, it might not be on the first page of the inbox.

AB8MA, KP4SX and KK9W like this.
  5. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

If you removed it from the spam folder it was moved to your inbox and sorted to the date the email was received and should appear as an unread message, but not as a new e-mail.

6. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What are you using to read your mail?

7. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the read / unread status is unchanged so if you opened it in spam it is then "read" and stays that way so it won't show up as bold in the inbox. It's probably useful to set it back to unread before moving it. That will make it easier to find in the inbox if you keep most of the inbox read.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  8. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

There are also one of my boxes. Over the years, I have never met an uglier design and interface.
    Apparently their motto is "It is illogical and inconvenient!"
    But I usually use it for all kinds of spam, so it'll do ...

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you have any other devices that are linked to your google account ?

If so, Strange things can happen, Especially if they are Synced.

10. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page