Glenn T. Clark is dead at 67, inventor of the Gentner/Texar Audio Prism

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by K5UJ, Apr 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Glen Clark passed away last Saturday. The cause of death was liver cancer. AM operators interested in audio processing and who run rigs capable of handling it, will probably have at some point either encountered a Texar or Gentner Prism or heard of them. The Prism came about in the days when a number of radio markets served as incubators for advances in processing, because anything new that gave a station a leg up on the competition had to be designed and built on-site. You didn't just order a whiz-bang box out of the BSW catalog; you had to invent.

News:
    https://www.thebdr.net/articles/prof/people/GlenClark.pdf

The story of the invention of the Audio Prism in Clark's own words:

https://www.thebdr.net/articles/audio/proc/AudioPrism.pdf

K0OKS likes this.
  2. K0OKS

K0OKS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great read. Thanks.

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

We used to use the Gentner phone line interface boxes for remote broadcasting over crappy phone lines. They worked amazingly well. It split the audio into two channels, and folded over the passband of one of them...very similar to the Narrow Band Voice Modulation that some hams were 'sperimenting with in the late 70s. When you had no option, they were the way to go.

4. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember NBFM. The ARRL was ga ga for it because of their never ending obsession with spectrum conservation. NBFM was on the cover of at least one QST back then. Then it vanished.

5. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

You mean NBVM - Narrowband Voice Modulation. It appeared on the cover of QST sometime in the late 1970s before the article actually appeared in the magazine, several issues later IIRC. Meany readers were asking WTF?, a big splashy cover devoted entirely to an allegedly hot new technology but no trace of an article inside, just a fleeting promise of "more to come". The article finally did appear several issues later, but very little was ever heard about it afterwards. A few experimenters attempted to build the circuit but reportedly couldn't get it to work, and if it ever did work, I suspect the audio quality would have made EAS alert voice messages sound hi-fi in comparison.

6. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

QST has pulled that stunt more than once. I can't recall a particular issue but I clearly remember at least one issue in the past 10 years or so that had a cover about some sort of topic that I got excited about, or at least interested, and the issue was a "nothing burger" as they say nowadays. No article about the topic whatsoever. That's done by other magazines too but to me it borders on fraud. I think it is reasonable to expect some content inside based on a cover. QST used to be sold on magazine racks but not anymore.

7. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

So did CQ, but I haven't seen one in ages.

I remember as a kid hanging out at a local newsstand and reading both, on days when the nice old lady, not the grumpy one was on duty.

8. K0OKS

K0OKS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think both are still on the rack at our local electronics tore, Gateway Electronics. I know QST is.

9. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have not see QST in a store rack in years. They even dropped the per-issue price from the cover. You are fortunate to have a local electronics store. Around here they're gone. We have an electronics surplus store though. The Radio Shacks all closed. I have heard that Hobby Lobby sells some parts.
    There was a magazine store in downtown Memphis years ago that sold all kinds of magazines and foreign newspapers. As a kid I'd go in there and read magazines but I almost never bought any. The store was presided over by an old grouch who sat up on a raised platform near the front of the store. He used to yell at me about reading and not buying.