ad: M2Ant-1

Glenn Baxter, K1MAN Fined $21,000

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Mar 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KB6SSN

KB6SSN Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems to me that if they allow W1AW to continue on in this same manner then we have a problem. Where is the equal treatment under the law? Why is one transmission different than the other? In my opinion they are both the same. At least W1MAN didn't have the useless ARRL behind them! I seldom stumbled on either transmission. So, personally, I couldn't care less what they are doing. But to prosecute one while allowing the other seems odd, if not not downright unfair! Or is W1AW and it's Newington cult above the law?

2. M3KCK

M3KCK Ham Member QRZ Page

If K1MAN is taken off the Air it will be a Sad day for All.

What I mean by this is that it would be a sad situation that a Radio Amateur has to be taken off the Air due to the Conduct of himself and possibly that of others?[​IMG]
    It is Not a good reflection on All of us.

Reading between the lines, I wonder if those stations that Interfered with K1MAN transmitting had also received a $21,000 fine would they be so Happy?

I have never heard K1MAN broadcasts but did recently have a Qso with him which was pleasant and no mention of advertising ect....

Before you label me as being in the Fan club, I could not care less, But If justice is to be served then it should be done Fairly and Equally to All Amateur Radio stations after consideration of how we All operate and looking at how this will reflect on the Amateur Radio community around the World!!
    Regards,
    Andrew M3KCK.

3. N9VO

N9VO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You need to try again. Look closely. It says see "lid". [​IMG]

4. WA4UF

WA4UF Ham Member QRZ Page

So does this mean that 14.275 has been returned to regular amateur use? :)

5. N0OV

N0OV Guest

Call me when the FCC has the money in the bank [​IMG]

6. K3NG

K3NG Ham Member QRZ Page

Read the NAL and then you'll understand the difference.

I hope you don't use any of the useless bands that the "useless ARRL" worked to get for Amateur Radio.

7. N8KIP

N8KIP Ham Member QRZ Page

How sad is it when we have to waste a whole thread talking about this sad sack of an amateur when there are so many other pressing issues in the ham community we should be concerned about. The recent talk of changes allowing Techs to be boosted to General privledges with absolutely no technical advancement is nausiating enough without having to hear about a sad little man in Maine who obviously has been off his Prozac to long.

8. W8ZNX

W8ZNX Ham Member QRZ Page

Todd n9ogl defends baxter
    because
    Todd hopes to be just like that lid in Maine

N9OGL is a want to be broadcaster

if you wish to understand N9OGL
    just read his postings on one of the
    un moderated ham radio message boards

then you may judge Todd by the language
    he uses

Mac dit dit

9. N6KZB

N6KZB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

14.275 is back to regular amateur use. The frequency is yours sir.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

And as far as….. "Something as stupid as ham radio..........."  Well you can always turn in your license. After all why would anyone want to be involved in something so "stupid"...............

The only vendetta against K1MAN, is the one he generated himself, by his lawless and ignorant actions.

We wish the sad little man well. Perhaps he and Jack, (the nut case from Calif.), can co-sponsor a web site, now that would be something. They can pay for it with “prosaic ads”, and “testimonials” of what happens when you stop taking your meds.

Now back to real amateur radio……………….

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

Anyone here can tell you I am NO apologist for or fan of ARRL. But W1AW is a different animal.

The code practice and proficiency sessions, and yes even the bulletins have greatly helped many a new ham get his foot in the code door either to start or to upgrade. The voice and TTY bulletins may be considered wasteful now in the era of the internet, but not everyone has internet access yet.

The thing that W1AW has never done that I've heard in over 31 years is promote the agenda of ARRL on the air. Yes, the presence of W1AW is sort of a hint that ARRL is behind it but not like K1MAN's transmissions.

W1AW has never promoted the ARRL website thus indirectly or directly advertising the wares for sale and the credit card offers. Baxter has done that for years. W1AW gets on, transmits the info at hand and is done with it. Not so K1MAN.

As I've said, I'm no fan of ARRL but if there's one absolutely legitimate service they do provide to ALL not just to members, it's W1AW. If you choose not to partake of their service that's certainly your choice, but there is no comparison between W1AW and K1MAN.

11. N9OGL

N9OGL Banned QRZ Page

Accually I believe they do say "if you want more information go to our websites at www.arrl.org" they say it at the very beginning and at the very end, and their website does have ads

Todd N9OGL

12. N8KIP

N8KIP Ham Member QRZ Page

W1AW has code testing to help learn CW or to increase your speed in CW. Thats a helpful tool for the Amateur just beginning, or one who wishes to upgrade his skill.

The only thing Baxter did on his broadcasts was ramble on and on about his deluted visions of his beefs with Riley Hollingsworth, and the FCC. How does that improve or help Amateur Radio. All his blathering did was give rule abiding hams a black eye to outsiders of the hobby.

Its amusing how weak spined individuals squeal about their freedom of speech rights, but forget there are rules that have to be followed to have those rights.

13. K3NG

K3NG Ham Member QRZ Page

ARRL sells Amateur Radio books.  K1MAN has a banner ad for Visa cards and links to companies that offer discounts to his Visa card holders.  ARRL does code practice and general Amateur Radio news, that's it.  K1MAN ran an interview with one of his customers.  ARRL mans their station.  The NAL says K1MAN violated the rules for station control.  I only copy the CW ARRL bulletins, and I've never heard them say go to the website at the beginning and end.  The middle of bulletins might refer you to a particular website URL as part of the story.  I've honestly never copied a RTTY or voice transmission.

About the only thing anyone can complain about is that W1AW comes up on frequency and starts transmitting just like K1MAN did.  W1AW has been doing this for what, 80 years?  A double standard?  Perhaps.  Undoubtedly the content of Baxter's transmissions had something to do with interference complaints, but Baxter wanted to pick a fight...and he got one.  He could have picked a free frequency each time.  But he chose to fight the battle and lose the war.

14. N6KZB

N6KZB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

W1AW is well published in advance as to mode and frequency. Its transmissions are well within the rules, and especially the spirit of amateur radio. Even if there was an issue with W1AW, that still does not give a pass to K1MAN

K1MAN violated the rules, blatantly on many occasions, and begged the government to do something about it.

And they have……...........

The license issued means you abide by the rules. There is no free speech attached to it.
    There was a lot of common sense and dignity that he decided to ignore.

Really pretty simple stuff. He spent years embarrassing and making a mockery of the service. He had many chances to just let it go, and did not.

Therefore, with his continued legal battles, that he will lose, it is sad to see the quality years wasted in an endeavor to become the biggest pain around.

Many people spend a lot of money and time on this hobby and gain great joy from it.
    A few use it as a forum for vanity, egos-gone-bad, and just plain ignorance.

Any one attempting to drum up some semblance of support for his antics needs to read his violations carefully, and judge the truth, not the emotion.

Remember, “You are judged by the company you keep”.

[​IMG]

15. N9OGL

N9OGL Banned QRZ Page

Not true, The courts has ruled (including the US Supreme Court) repetitive that once you obtain a license you have the right to free speech. "a person does not have a first amendment right to use a radio facility without a license" Red Lion Broadcasting v FCC (1969) and US court of Appeal reinstated that comment in Dunifer v FCC (1998) Dunifer was a pirate radio operator who didn't apply for a license or a waiver and the court ruled that since he never applied for a license or a waiver he didn't have the right to run a radio station. There are other rules as well Section 326 of the Communication Act of 1934 states that the FCC can not control the content of any station, it also prohibits the FCC from making rules that would infringe on the First Amendment. The US Court of Appeal has also stated that the FCC rules must be "Content Netural" meaning they cannot be based on what the station is transmitting, the rules must be of technical nature and there has been many FCC rules in the past that has been struck down by the courts for violating the content netural rule. The problem here is Amateur don't know that because no amateur rules like information bulletin / broadcasting and pecuniary interest has ever been challenged in the courts. This is really something new in the amateur radio service.

Todd N9OGL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.