Glass Mount Antenna SUV -- How Do I Assess Window Metallics?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by AE4CH, Aug 8, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AE4CH

AE4CH Ham Member QRZ Page

I was all set to purchase a glass mount Diamond antenna for the 2010 Lexus RX350, but then read that metallic window tinting would obscure the coupling. I did some reading, and found that factory tinted windows are most likely a simple dark dye, made into the glass itself, and not metallic in nature.

I suppose I could purchase, install, and try the antenna. But, I thought you guys might know of a meter or method to assess the nature of the window tinting from the factory.

If not metallic, I am all in on getting an antenna on the back quarter window and ditching the magnet mount which is too high for my garage.

2. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

Search for "passivated glass" online...

3. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The only vehicle I have ever installed one on was a 2012 Ford Fiesta Sport. That car had a very very lightly tinted window. The car was a lease so I couldn’t drill a hole,(wont use a mag mount) and my handheld wasn’t making it inside the car. Though it worked way better then I ever thought it could. (on those windows) I think you are more then likely out of luck if you are tinted. If you dont want to drill a hole for a MNO, take a look at a L-bracket mount on the side of trunk or the side of the hood. Sorry that does not really answer your question.

4. AE4CH

AE4CH Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like hood mount bracket might be better. Will study on this.

5. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Contact a local auto-glass shop.
    They should be able to tell you whether the tinting is metallic.

6. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

Take two square pieces of conductor (aluminum, brass, PCB, etc) attach them to an L/C meter. Place flat side by side spaced a few mm apart on untinted glass and measure the capacitance. Duplicate the placement over the tinted part. If the tint is conductive, the capacitance will be much higher.

KA9YUA and M0KED like this.