ad: ARR

GLA 1000

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by ND3L, Jun 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. ND3L

ND3L XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been out of ham radio for 28 years, just getting back in the week after Christmas. Age 72so experimenting days are rare. Anyway I looked at coil and 10 metersa is tapped to bandswitch exactly 2 turns from the end and with bthe placement for the other taps I figured halfway or 1 turn would be a good place to start. As far as doing something with the Capacitance, I'm lost. But I'm still looking and learning (I hope).
    Thanks,
    Des ND3L

2. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

With that all said it looks like you need to dedicate it to a 6M only amp and remove the output circuit and start over if you want any sort of efficiency that wont fry the tubes. You can then also add a tuned input just for 6.
    How much involvement do you want to do?

Im 79 Des so you got a ways to catch up as Im still experimenting and building on a regular basis, and started at 14.

Carl

3. ND3L

Dedicating it to 6 meters isn't a problem. I have a AL-8-B for the HF bands. Also suppose I could remove the taps from coil for 80 thru 10m and go from there. Wouldn't need them anyway. Maybe a tuned input wouldn't be too bad.

4. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Without a lot of work it will still sound like a CB amp plus the tubes will be straining at 50 Mhz. At 6M the IMD not heard on most of HF will be obnoxious since the external noise level is much lower

Id suggest selling and pick up a SB-200/201, AL-80A/SB-1000 which are an easy (not fast and simple) conversion

5. ND3L

Thanks the info Carl. I have 2 SB230's myself. Would be great if I could find a tube or one running that I could use mine for spare parts, As for being creative, I'm in my 70's. I was creative in my tounger years. All my creativity now is reserved for antenna work.

6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Find some ham or other person with a machine shop, even a hobby size lathe can be used to modify anodes. No BeO involved with the tubes themselves, just soft brass....or aluminum if you want to chop up a later 8875:D