GLA 1000

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by ND3L, Jun 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. ND3L

ND3L XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a GLA1000 (no suffix) that works. Can it be converted to 6m without major modification?? Any info appreciated. Thanks

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have one. I don't recall ever seeing any articles about converting them in the last 12 years.

3. ND3L

Thanks for answering. I just put new tubes in mine. Works fair, works good if I use auto tuner in rig to match. Mine is the earlier version without the tuned input. I also have 2 SB230 amps, but am sure cost of converting them is out of sitwe.
    Thanks DES ND3L

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, an SB-230 is a better candidate for a 6m conversion because it uses one very good VHF tube.

5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

@N3DL

GLA-1000 info is sparse. Radiowrench has gathered info, and has his own suggested general mods. Zipped file downloads are on left of page, link to RW's pertinent web page is on the right.

http://www.radiowrench.com/sonic/

6. K7RJB

K7RJB Ham Member QRZ Page

A friend of mine builds a mean SB220 for 6M.
    Maybe he can do something with your GLA-1000?
    email me for contact info

7. AD4U

AD4U Ham Member QRZ Page

As I remember the GLA amp uses a lot of (4-6) sweep tubes. Given the total C of the sweep tubes, it will be hard to put this amp on 6M. I even wonder how "they" got it working on 10M.

Regardless - Good luck.

Dick AD4U

8. ND3L

My problem is one SB230 "probably" has a bad tube. I "think" the other has a good tube. Can't buy a replacement anywhere. Loved that amp. Thanks for reply.
    Des... ND3L

9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I modified a SB-230 to 6 back in the 80's and still use it for portable and as a Rover and did a few for others. Mine came minus the tube so I modified a 8874 which works well.
    Also have a "virgin" that has been used with a TS-130 up in the BR that might be looking for a new home.

The creative can probably adapt a 8072/8121/8122 since they all use the same socket.

Carl

10. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

The C of the 4 tubes can be handled by using a L coil prior to the tank or just tapping the 10M coil in the middle. This reduces the needed C in the Tune cap to 1/4.

Getting it stable may be a chore in that haywire layout.

Carl