ad: Radclub22-1

Give Us 11m Back!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Dec 1, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

Article by George, N0RRS

Here's a quiz for all you newcomers to the hobby:

Q. True or False: 11 Meters was once a legal ham band.

A. True - and some hams want it back!

Here's an article about how we lost a great HF band back
    in the 1950's, and some thoughts about that and a proposal
    to help clean it up...

Hi,

My name is George, and I am an Extra Class ham in Missouri. I am taking a survey of ham operators across the U.S. that are interested as I am, in the possiblity of the FCC giving 11m back to the hams.
    As you my be aware of, the 11m band used to be part of the amateur radio spectrum until the mid 1950's when the FCC created the Citizens Band.

Ever since then the CB band has went from being a licensed part of the radio spectrum, to being unlicensed, and I may add, mostly unregulated by the FCC, save for the ocassional "big bust" on illegal operators.

So, I would like to know what other ham operators think about presenting a proposal to the FCC and ARRL requesting them to give 11m back to the hams, and make 26.965 through 27.405 (the CB band), a CW, RTTY, and Packet, band for the Technicians. I suggest "low power", I recommend setting a power limit of 10 watts maxiumum, which SHOULD keep the CB'ers from infiltrating on to the band. And, as with all the ham bands, only LICENSED operators will be allowed.

I realize some my think this to be a "radical" approach, but I would like to point out the fact that the FCC as of 11/13/00, created the Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS), that is essentially, a VHF CB band. In case you haven't heard about this, it is posted on the ARRL website: www.arrl.org. With the creation of this new band, and with the widespread use of the General Purpose Radio Service, and Family Radio Service, it is my opinion that the 11m CB band has outlived it's usefulness and is now a "pirate" ham band, with high power linears and out-of-band operators infringing upon the 10m ham spectrum.

If this proposal is considered, I think that it will help eliminate the numerous problems of enforcement on the 11m band today. But, like I said in the beginning, I am only taking a survey, send me your e-mails and let me know what you think.

73's de N0RRS

gmagyar2@fidnet.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.