Git clone and Eclipse - for a dummy

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by AA7EJ, Nov 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: OK1UUad-1
  1. AG5WC

AG5WC Ham Member QRZ Page

I highly recommend ditching Eclipse if you are not already deeply familiar with it. We were encouraged to use it in my Comp Sci 2 class, but it was such a nightmare that I soon jumped back to Emacs and command-line compilation. The only good thing about Eclipse is the built-in Java debugger, but this isn't Java code. In fact, since the project involves cross-compilation with a specific toolchain, it's possible Eclipse can't even handle it--but I don't know that for sure, because Eclipse is a garbage fire I've avoided for the last 15 years.

The build instructions at https://github.com/ttrftech/NanoVNA are quite straightforward. We may be able to help figure out what's wrong, but you'd need to give us more information than "make failed".
    • What OS are you using?
    • What steps did you take to get to this point?
    • What was the actual error from make?
    Getting good at git takes time, but getting "good enough" is pretty easy. Once you figure out the clone, branch, add, commit, and push commands, you're off to a good start.

KA9JLM likes this.
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You are not allowed to ask questions.

You can only provide answers that the OP likes. :D:p:rolleyes:o_O

WR2E likes this.
  3. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not need to be good at git, I am pretty happy with knowledge I have now.

I have no issue using CLI / make on NanoVNA.
    I get one error which has even suggested solution I need to implement.

I have started writing code in 1972 - in assembly , "compiled " on main frame etc.

I understated that GUI is ONLY an interface to commands and very dependent on coder writing skills.
    Using commands just reminds me of "good old days" writing in assembly, that 's all.
    I made a descison to start using C and then switched from other IDE to Eclipse.

Yes, Eclipse is not perfect, but you are correct - I got used to it and it generally does the job.

The real issue is - Eclipse wants to be "Swiss army knife" and there is nil support for "3rd party plug-ins".

Everybody makes u-tube instructions about git and there is nothing about HOW to actually debug / run the cloned code.

That is what I have to figure out now - using Eclipse.

PS
    Making progress , I can add new C file to local NanoVNA repository.

73 Shirley