ad: CQMM-1

GigaParts & Web-stores

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Apr 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

Paul-N4PK writes "I just noticed the banner ad for GigaParts here on QRZ. I checked out their web page and looked around a bit. Their webpage storefront looks quite nice. It looks like they don't have all the brands that HRO or AES carries but they do have practically all of the major brands (Alinco, Icom, Kenwood, MFJ, Yaesu.) The prices look quite competitive too.

It doesn't appear the stock-status is functioning yet but otherwise their web-store interface looks like a good implementation. The search capabilities work well.

It is interesting that what appears to have maybe been a computer store (with both a physical storefront in Huntsville and a web-store) has expanded to selling ham gear.

Has anyone done business with them online? I have often ordered from HRO through their web-store and have been quite pleased with the ease of ordering products and the quick shipping of in-stock product. I have also ordered from AES online without any problems.

GigaParts appears to have a reasonable shipping policy ($200 orders get free UPS to CONUS locations along with same day shipping if ordered before 1:00 PM.)

Many of the established ham radio stores still struggle to have a decent web-store (if any at all) and for the many of us who do not have a local ham store anymore it would seem to be advantageous to take advantage of the internet in every way possible. If I know what I want, I don't want to call the store (even if its a 1-800 toll free call) and sit on hold just to order. If I can check prices, stock, and order online thats what I'd prefer to do.

I work for a computer distributor and we are trying to move our customers to doing ordering on our web page if they do not have EDI or other connections directly into our order processing and control system. I love being able to shop at anytime. It is not just advantageous to the customer either. It frees the sales people to do other things than being purely phone order-takers.

I'm very comfortable with online ordering when I know the outfit I am doing with is reputable. I've bought ham radios, computer equipment, book (Amazon and Barnes & Noble Online) and other things online. In fact most of my Christmas shopping the last few years without having to visit a crowded mall.

I'm not just interested in hearing about GigaParts only but have some discussion about experience with ham-radio web-stores.

73 - Paul, N4PK

Largo, Florida"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.