GFI Tripping Prob

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K2OY, Jun 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K2OY

K2OY Ham Member QRZ Page

Got a GFI outlet on my veranda that I plug my hair clippers into. Works fine till I turn the clippers off, then the GFI trips. To me, it's the electrical equivalent of the knock you sometimes get in a water pipe when you turn the tap off - too much back pressure.

So do I have a faulty unit to be replaced or need I look further? Comments, ideas appreciated.

Tnx,

Paul
    wa2enm

2. N8VIL

N8VIL Ham Member QRZ Page

I had one that was finicky. Would trip for no reason (you could hear the click of it tripping in the living room) and when I unplugged things from it sometimes. I changed it and no problems. This GFCI outlet was dead ended and did not feed anything else on the load side. I would just change it and see what happens.

W4IOA likes this.
  3. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Does this GFI trip when you are on the air ? Arc sensing units (newer ones) are being replaced by the manufacturer. Ariticles in QSO, covering this, have been written in the past year.

4. N8VIL

N8VIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine did that also. But changing it cured that problem too.

5. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

In the 80s & early 90s, there were many faulty units. Also, they can start to act funky if there was a near lightning strike.
    It's a Safety device. When faulty, replace.

Ed

N0TZU likes this.
  6. K2OY

K2OY Ham Member QRZ Page

No tripping when on the air, and unit is from 2009. Guess just replace it is the consensus, which i'll do.

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions.

Paul

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Do your hair clippers have a polarized AC plug ?

8. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

If the Clippers has two wire plug the outlet needs replaced. GFCI outlets or breakers have a sensing coil that monitors the current in the L & N wires. As long as they are equal, life is good. As soon as it detects a difference in current POP Goes The Weasel. It means current is going somewhere it should not be going, like the ground wire or your body.

9. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

That does not make any difference to GFCI.

GFCI is not polarity sensitive nor does it need any reference to ground or earth. .

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Normally not. Depends on if it is double insulated.

The clippers may just need a soft stop.