Getting Started

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KD9RJX, Jun 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KD9RJX

KD9RJX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all. I am a fairly new licensed operator, took both the technician and general right at the end of January, and am looking for information sources in getting started. I did go to ARRL.org and looked for area clubs and have emailed four different ones in my area. I did this right after getting my ticket and once again in March and haven't heard back from any of them as of yet. I am assuming the Covid restrictions might be causing some problems. Anyway, QRZ looks to be a pretty expansive resource but I am wondering if there are any others that folks would suggest checking out.

Bob Hill
    KD9RJX

2. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, QRZ or the "Z" is quite exhaustive, not a topic that wouldn't be dealt with, back, or anew, in a couple or in a four-days span, and there are many many many facets to our hobby, not to mention closed-to-reply threads, some quite informative.
    I started reading eham (dot) net, well before passing my exam (was incredibly difficult to get into a session, had to travel, and I am living in the biggest city of Latin America, go figure!) so that I had already planned what I would be doing once licensed, antenna, modes, bands. rig.
    I even already had a Kent straight key hooked to a makeshift CPO.
    These are the basic questions, when you've answered all them, starting with ANTENNA possibilities, you'll be jumping to the straightforward pieces of information.
    Some others may reply here too, but, if me, I made it out in my skum city, with absolutely no help at all... I went to an open-door event at Labre state association branch, while eager to settle my station, they did not helped me at all ("which rig did you got? which tower?") huh? I am living in a multi-story building, ya know! so, bye, away, my membership (which wasn't even cheap and no newby discount)

Oliver

PS. Welcome to RA :)
    but try delimitating your radio-scope, gonna help responses under here, as, litterally, hundreds sites are worth reading.

3. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome to Amateur Radio.

Many of the QRZ regulars also frequent eHam.net. It seems like QRZ and eHam are the two main internet groups.

Clubs and their activities may be starting to pick up again. We will see after these new Covid variants run their course. So just be patient with clubs for a while. Personally, I waiting for the ham fests to begin again. There are a few right now, but there too far away.

There are a lot of forum categories available, so I suggest you select a few and just start reading. When someone makes a post, there are often a lot of different answers. It's good to absorb these differences. But some threads just turn into dog fights. In case you haven't noticed, hams can be pretty opinionated. Over time, you learn to ignore the dog fights, but they are sometimes fun to read.

If you have a question, select the right forum and post. That's all there is to it. There are no dumb questions. Well, sometimes they are on the edge, but we still try to answer them.

Good luck with Amateur Radio. I've been a ham for 56 years and I'm still learning.

PU2OZT likes this.
  4. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hundreds sites, but http://k7mem.com/index.html was one I bookmarked first, looking to build a shortened dipole.
    eham got ugly as I passed to read with a small android device.

5. KD9RJX

KD9RJX Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks all for the additional resources. I am still getting a handle on the variety of things I can try in ham radio and the more information the better.

Bob

6. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would look at ARRL publications, which are available for specific aspects of the hobby.

For example, here are some suggested titles -

* ARRL Operating Manual
    * Basic Antennas
    * Your First Amateur Radio HF Station
    * Morse Code Operating for Amateur Radio

There is nothing wrong with QRZ.com as a resource, if you have a specific question. However, I have seen general questions produce lengthy recommendations of what someone did in 1962. While the historical accomplishment is impressive, it may be of no help answering your current problem.