Getting started in CW

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KV4JW, Nov 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W2OZB

W2OZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I hate to break this to you, but I don't think a code oscillator will do much good with your paddle. What you need is a keyer. I think a straight key , a cootie, or a bug will only work with a code practice oscillator. I'm pretty much an FNG so I hope others will chime in the help guide you with this.....

M6GYU likes this.
  2. KZ4KX

KZ4KX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It works fine. Just like when I have the paddle plug into the radio. I think the eBay seller listed it as Iambic Code Oscillator. I saw several for a straight key but only 1 for for a paddle.

3. W2OZB

W2OZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

AHAH! My mistake. Obviously I am incorrect in my assumption. As I say, I'm pretty new and obviously, I am incorrect, so sorry.

4. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Very ancient "code practice oscillator" was made from carbon microphone and ear piece form battery operated surplus WWII field phones - via acoustic feedback.
    Fun to adjust each time when not used for a while.
    Personally I would not recommend any "bug" key nor computer / keyboard generated code learning.
    Solid / stiff straight key up / down motion and its clickety (sic?) clack is part of getting the "feel" for code.

I also suspect that people who "copy in head" do lots of "guessing / completing " open text without actually coping the code.
    Never hear of anybody doing such with coded messages , not open text.
    Just my opinion.

73 Shirley

5. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Why? I learned everything at 5 WPM (from a phonograph record, for Pete's sake) with regular spacing. In six months I was ready for the General test. When it became desirable for me to do so, I progressed from about 18 to about 25 WPM in a couple of weeks.

The overwhelming majority of Novices did the same thing in those days. We didn't know what Farnsworth or Koch were, but almost all of us did just fine, got our licenses, and many of us became life-long CW ops.

I've never regretted learning CW this way! Why should I? I achieved my goals and gained a love of CW that is still with me today.

There is nothing wrong with Farnsworth/Koch learning, but it isn't necessary! Learning everything at 5 WPM with proper organic spacing, and then building up speed from there with on-air listening and QSOs, worked just fine for many of us, and I suspect most of us.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    M6GYU likes this.
  6. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's when a little stick-to-it-iveness is supposed to kick in! You are likely to encounter such barriers/plateaus with any learning system you choose - that's why the learning system itself isn't as important as the DETERMINATION to learn. If you had kept at it you probably only would have been at 5 WPM for two or three weeks at most and by now would probably at least be rattling away at 15-20 WPM along with most other folks.

There are plenty of 5-10 WPM QSOs going on around 7050 KHz, and a few more around 14050 when the band is open. Get back to 5 WPM, get on the air, and start listening and having QSOs daily! If you're like most of us, in six weeks or so you will be pushing 10-12 WPM and getting faster rapidly.

M6GYU and W5BIB like this.
  7. KM6VOV

KM6VOV Ham Member QRZ Page

We started learning about the same time. You haven't posted here in about a month. I'm curious as to how you're coming along with your CW.

M6GYU likes this.