Getting started in CW

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KV4JW, Nov 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

You're doin great Josh... just go yer own pace, yes, do mix in some sending too. It will reinforce the knowledge.
    I started sending "the quick red fox jumps over the lazy brown dog" as practice after I learned every character.
    I go from that into the numbers 0-9, repeat as needed. "Bens best bent wire" is good to practice send too.
    It is good to do this before getting on each time to warm up both the fist and the brain.
    Ic-718 is a fine rig to start out with and a 250 or at least a 500Hz CW filter will help.

Learn Morse
    Do CW

2. KV4JW

KV4JW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks!

The Morse-It app has proved itself to be rather handy. I've been practicing K again at my desk this morning in between work duties. I'll likely practice D & W later. The app makes it rather easy to practice code when not near my radio. I'm beginning to see the advantage with paddle type keys now as opposed to a simple straight key.

3. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Surely you meant "for all intents and purposes."

KM6VOV and KD8EDC like this.
  4. KV4JW

One of the perks of posting with a "smartphone"..

You saved the entire world with your keen proofreading skills. Here's a picture of a kitten to reward you.

Attached Files:

N8AFT likes this.
  5. W2OZB

W2OZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I hate auto correct on phones. Its my worst enema!

W5BIB likes this.
  6. WN1MB

Oh sure ... blame the smartphone. I call BS.

And thanks for teh kitteh.

7. KV4JW

Actually, that's.. _ . . . . . .

I give you a solid 4 on the troll-o-scale. Try harder.

It's actually "the" "kitten".. Unless you're using a smartphone, then I'll give you a pass.

W0JCB and KM6VOV like this.
  8. WN1MB

9. KV4JW

Regretfully not. I'm spending my extra time trying to figure out how to turn off auto-correct on my smart-phone, and learning Morse code. After I become proficient at 20 WPM, I plan to construct a shrine to you and hand write copies of the dictionary to offer for forgiveness of my transgressions.

W0JCB, M6GYU and N7BKV like this.
  10. KI7RS

KI7RS Ham Member QRZ Page

I had planned on learning with a straight key, but I went with the paddle. I bought a cheap straight key, and I've been practicing on it sparingly. I noticed with the paddle I learned sending way faster than receiving, so I send more time practice receiving. With the straight key I seem to focus on the sound, but with the paddles I just learned the timing of my fat finger swipes.

N7BKV, M6GYU and KV4JW like this.