ad: TwinCity-1

Getting my Late Fathers call Sign assigned to me

Discussion in 'Community Help Center' started by WA9BXI, Feb 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: expert-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA9BXI

    WA9BXI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

    My late father has passed and I would like to get his call sign as my own. can anyone help with this?
  2. K3XR

    K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

    I typed "FCC DECEASED FAMILY CALL SIGN" in my search engine and received at least a page of responses.
  3. K1DJE

    K1DJE Ham Member QRZ Page

    I can only give you the general process. I applied for a vanity call at the FCC on-line and asked for my late Brother's call sign. It was very easy, and there was no verification process. I only had to check off a question that he was, indeed, my Brother. At that time there was no fee, however that may have changed by now ($35??). It took only about three weeks to process and I received an email that allowed me to download the new license from them. Keep in mind they will only allow it if your Father's call was the same class as your license.

    Wish I could recall the specific FCC site, but it can be found easily by Googling "fcc change amateur call sign". It was easy and took only about 10 minutes to complete the form.

    GL es 73
    Dave - K1DJE
  4. KR6S

    KR6S Ham Member QRZ Page

    I did exactly the same as Dave K1DJE. I applied for my late father's call. But my application was rejected. All it said was "Dismissed" and gave no explanation why. Today I suspect it's because his license is still shown as Active in their system. He passed only a few months ago and no one has notified the FCC yet. But I read very carefully the vanity instructions when applying, and it said DO NOT send any proof or supporting documentation. So I didn't. Now I think it has to be 2 separate steps. Step 1) Notify and wait until his call is no longer active, and 2) apply for it WITHIN the two year window under the exception of "close relative". Hopefully that's how it works. It's a shame we have to Google and read QRZ forums to reveal a relatively simple process. As with many other aspects of amateur radio, I feel our government has abandoned us. I was dismissed without explanation.

    Assuming the 2-step sequence is correct, here is what you do...

    A) Send a notice of cancellation to the FCC. Some good instructions are here:
    Specifically you're looking at his steps 3, 4, 5, and 6.

    B) Request the vanity call sign. That can be done here:
    That is the FCC License Manager. Log in, then look on the FAR RIGHT for the link "Request vanity call sign."
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2021

Share This Page