Getting my first 10 on 10 meters

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE0JVH, Jul 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Paper clips, and lotsa them!
    Glad to see you here. Tell us how you're getting on or if you run into difficulties.

WZ7U likes this.
  2. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome! Back in 1990 I worked DXCC on 10M with a 25w Radio Shack HTX-100 and an Antron 99 that was barely 10’ above the house...when 10 is open it’s open, and you don’t even need 100w to work the world! Never did become a member of 10-10x tho.

3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed!
    10 can be the most fun you can have with your clothes on, so just follow the advice from Monty Python.... wait for it... wait for it... ;)

KD2ACO likes this.
  4. KG5RZ

KG5RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

My 29.6 Maxtrac monitor radio has heard stations calling everyday for the last 10 days at least. IF 29.6 fm is open the novice/tech SSB part of the band it open.

My other propagation monitor, A scanning CB has also shown band openings.

KD2ACO likes this.
  5. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

6m too! I didn't realize how cool that band is until I got a radio that could run there.

I guess that could be said of many amateur bands/modes.

6. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes!

7. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Really good opening today for 6 and 10, going strong way after dark here. Heard the W1AW bulletin on 15m tonight, 5NN+.

6m is a lot of fun and it's comparatively easy to get into. The antennas aren't huge, most current HF radios include it at 100w. And technician class has full privileges and full 1500w. Just sayin'.

8. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

10m was open for me around 9pm - worked a few stations up north and could have worked more but I got tired. Novices need to keep their eyes & ears on the bands b/c they're open more frequently than some may think

9. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I sent you a PM, but here's some highlights

"DX maps" is your friend! It's a graphic representation of all the posts from the popular "DX clusters"

https://www.dxmaps.com/spots/mapg.php

A super place to look for and post DX spots is DX Summit
    http://www.dxsummit.fi/#/

Friday evenings 10 meters seems to light up with ragchews and NETs, so give your SSB dial a spin 28.3-28.5mhz where most of the action is.

FYI - my buddy Jim worked FT-8 a couple of times last week and got Russia! He's running a 10 meter dipole at 25' and a 100W

10. KZ4KX

KZ4KX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

6m band seems to be my favorite band lately. When it is open it still has a very low noise level. Looking to build a beam, the wire just doesn't seem to receive all that well.