Getting my first 10 on 10 meters

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE0JVH, Jul 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KA6IBM

KA6IBM Ham Member QRZ Page

Paddle or straight key?

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Seriously? o_O

WU8Y likes this.
  3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Bare stripped wires, the MacGyver method.

N8FGB and KZ4KX like this.
  4. KE0JVH

KE0JVH Ham Member QRZ Page

Great advice thank you I have and will keep trying.

73's thank you

M0YRX likes this.
  5. KE0JVH

wow thank you so much for your time and welcoming. that is great advice and I might just have to try to buy a vertical. one question I had though. I was thinking of building a 10 meter 2 element yaggi for the experience would this get me anywhere better on the band?

6. KE0JVH

Thank you everyone for your feed back I apologize that I didn't get back to everyone. this all helps me greatly!

7. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Your random wire may actually be a bit long for 10 meters. It's probably a bit directional on that band, in the direction the wire is pointing. You might try cutting a dipole for 10 (only 16' long) and see how that hears.

Be patient - they don't call it 'sporadic e' for nothing.

WZ7U and NL7W like this.
  8. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ten-meter propagation is better in tropical, southcentral Alaska.
    The last time I worked the Lower-48 to any great effect was the 2014 ARRL 10M Contest, which I won handily with over 1100 mixed-mode Q's.
    I was operating from my home station in Palmer, consisting of a TH3 at 40 feet and 1000 Watts PEP.
    It was the highest score from Alaska for all classes/modes. :)

I'll miss operating times like that from Alaska. The pile-ups were fun.

Steve-o

KD2ACO likes this.
  9. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know if it will be any "better" per se, but it will almost certainly outperform your wire. And it will be great experience! Use the aforementioned top rail pipe to hold it up. You should be able to turn it with a $100 TV rotator, at least for a little while, or you could just armstrong it. Cut about a foot off of the 20' piece to use above the rotator. Keep that piece short to minimize the bending moment. That should put the antenna ~18' in the air, more or less, which is just above half a wavelength at 28.4mhz, so you should hopefully pick up a little ground gain.

Have fun, good luck, post pictures and hope to work you on it.

10. KK6ILV

KK6ILV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use an I max 2000 for ten meter also, easy to assemble and tune, not that expensive. Have had good luck with it, as with all verticals you will pick up more noise than you would with other antennas. You did not mention what size of coax you are running, I would recommend an RG-213 . If you are running the smaller coax in 75' or longer you will have signal strength loses that will hamper you also. You are on the right track with this, remember its a Learning Experience, It gets easier with time. Have Fun !!