Getting free access to technical books and training resources

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AE9AM, May 16, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. AE9AM

AE9AM Ham Member QRZ Page

So there are a number of online technical book libraries like O'Reilly's Safari Books and PACKT's Mapt, which you can subscribe to for $200-$400 per year. Safari is especially good because it includes the entire O'Reilly book catalog as well as many other publishers

I discovered at some point that many public libraries in the US offer free access to one or more of these services to their patrons, and most let you access the services from home using your library card. As an example, when I lived in 6-land the Sunnyvale Public Library would give a library card to anyone in the state of California (though you had to show up in person to get/renew it) and they offered Safari Books access from home (which actually includes many other publishers including PACKT). This would regularly be at least $400/year to subscribe to.

Here in upside-down-6-land I can't get Safari, but my library offers free access to the Lynda video training library at the highest subscription level that's regularly like $500/year, and is another really great resource for mostly computer software related training.

So it's definitely worth checking out what "online databases" your local library might offer you access to.

Also Safari and PACKT occasionally run half-off deals on their subscriptions.

PACKT has another really great thing which is that they offer a free e-book every day. I now have several hundred books in my PACKT account that I've collected over the past couple years. So this URL is worth a visit every day:

https://www.packtpub.com/packt/offers/free-learning

the topics can range from really useful to stuff you'll never care about, but it only takes a couple clicks a day to acquire a new book, and you can later download them in DRM-free PDF, mobi, and other formats or read them online.

Anyhow, that's my free-stuff tip for the day.

G.

KL4BT likes this.
  2. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

You can also access a lot of rare stuff from other libraries via the Library inter-loan program.
    Libraries really were great years ago but today most things are online and searchable, as you indicate. Not to mention from downloads of books and other historical sources.

Really is a great time if you like to research things. :)