Getting back into RTTY/Packet, Need Assistance

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by AC4EE, Nov 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AC4EE

AC4EE Ham Member QRZ Page

UPDATE:

Ok, decided to trash any idea of getting my old setup going (C-64, etc). Will use (maybe i said this already?) my Dell, XP Pro, PK-232 (and i just found my CP-1 and CP-100 in my closet).

Ordered an RS-232 to usb adapter to cover any configurations i may need to use and for flexibility, and for the record, i have been getting a lot of off line assistance from "Dave AA6YQ". It will be a few days before adapter comes in and i start interconnecting a few things.

2. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

In order to use the CP-1 with a "real" computer, you will need to install the RS-232 mod.

3. AC4EE

AC4EE Ham Member QRZ Page

I did not need to know that as i was only making a reference to other equipment i am finding that i forgot i had.

I too am also aware about "real computer(s)" but, again, way far back when, i, along with many others, were using c-64's or similar and they worked very well.

4. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Having gotten started when a "real" computer had 4kb of RAM and required storing the bootstrap loader's instructions into memory with front panel console switches, it's amazing how what constitutes a "real" computer has changed over time. In those days, an RS-232 interface was entirely implemented in software, scanning the RXD pin at 5X the baud rate to find the center of each start bit....

Dave, AA6YQ

5. KB3VWG

KB3VWG Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I'm not sure the cable answer was covered; I came across an AEA PK-232 a few months ago for $15.00 "for parts or repair..." and it appears that the only repair needed was to re-seat the DSP board (and replace a fuse I blew with a failed power supply). So now I have a fully updated PK-232MBX w/DSP.

And since I also own an Alinco DR-1200T (and was in the process of repairing the LEDs, battery and replacing the speaker and missing cover screws), I was considering purchasing a TNC-to-radio cable for it.

http://www.packetradio.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=476

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C75-Alinco-...773?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e762367d

That would be our cable!

KB3VWG

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.