ad: w5yi

getting a call sign not listed on fcc

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KA7GFY, Jun 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KA7GFY

KA7GFY Ham Member QRZ Page

I am hoping that I will get my extra license in the next couple of months. I have been looking at the call signs and haven't seen this one on the FCC data base. it is WA5GY. my current call sign is KA7GFY. I thought this one would be nice because it incorporates a number of the letters in my current call sign. it is not in the current database as ever been issued by the fcc. if I put in my wish list for vanity call signs, what are my chances of getting it?

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Simply depends on how many others have applied for the same call sign.

I can't imagine WA5GY is in hot demand though....

Dave
    W7UUU

AK5B likes this.
  3. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd stick with the GFY call -- it would likely make the state wince when they issued ham plates.

4. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

I checked WA5GY on AE7Q and it shows it as currently available for Advanced Class or higher. If you really want it I'd suggest upgrading ASAP and apply once you reach Extra.

I just went through the process and was granted a new 4-character call this morning. If I hadn't already been successful I might have gone for a 2X2 call like that as my Plan B since they are much more plentiful and in far less demand than 1x2s or 2x1s. Good luck!

Jeff (ex-NH7RO now AJ5J)

5. W5GX

W5GX Ham Member QRZ Page

I just got it!

Ha!