Getting a bit discouraged.

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by M0KBO, Aug 15, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KQ4MM

KQ4MM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Its a SKED page David, not a Chat room, thats so AOL .. just kidding of course. Folks do chat there a little
    and its great for advertising where you are calling or listening plus you can private message people directly or message the whole group at once or just lurk like many do.

Also check out CW RBN for finding who's calling CQ where at what speed

NG9F likes this.
  2. G4TGJ

G4TGJ Ham Member QRZ Page

There aren't. You didn't make a rookie error. There are frequencies that are centres of activity for certain things such as QRP or FISTS. But calling CQ anywhere within the CW segment of a band is the right thing to do. After all, how else did the contacts there start? It's not like 2m FM where you call on 145.500 and then change to a different frequency. Imagine doing that with CW!

So have you managed any more contacts? If you have 80m I could manage a sked with you. Unfortunately 40m is no good for inter UK at the moment.

There are a lot of special event stations on the bands and these are very short exchanges so are a good way to check you are getting out. Just listen for the style of operation - are they just sending "5nn tu" or do they also send their name? As said, listening is key. However, if a band appears dead then a CQ can be productive. Last week at about 2200z I called CQ on 30m for some time while updating my log (memory keyers are good for this) and was about to go to bed when I was called by a US station. So don't give up.

M0KBO likes this.
  3. M0KBO

M0KBO Ham Member QRZ Page

Cheers for the advice!

Yeah agreed on 40m, bit too flat on the uk front atm. I can do 80m but its through the lower end of a compromise antenna so unless the wind is blowing in the right direction, I don't know if you are going to get me, I'll give it a whirl though.

Had a bit more success, tried tail ending a strong signal the other weekend, station slowed right down for me and we had a nice little QSO. Was a bit rubber stamp from me as I was following my new boy script lol. Turns out it was an op from just across town and from my club. Not DX but really good to get a decent QSO under my belt.

Cheers all for the help on here, looking after the new boy!!

W5BIB and AD5HR like this.
  4. G0OEY

G0OEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Try the FISTS frequencies as there are usually people listening.
    If you would like a sked I'm always available to help being a returning cw op I also need practice.

5. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Getting really frustrated just trying to listen in Asia. People are either moving at 25wpm+, or at 12-15wpm with such bad keying and spacing, I can't make it out.

I am listening for several minutes just trying to understand some of these calls, the keying is so atrocious. I swear some of these ops are just tapping two bare wires together (or trying to).

What's worse... virtually none of them are listed on QRZ, or anywhere else I can verify I even got the callsign correct.

This is completely lacking in enjoyment.

6. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

or using a loose toggle-switch :rolleyes:

7. SA4BRL

SA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

You are, like me, in Region 1.
    Here, 40 m is the place to be, specifically between 7,020 and 7,030 MHz.
    I'm not too fast with CW, but I'm there at least two times a week between 17:00 and 22:00 GMT.
    Many nice people there - and, after a while, you find out that you encounter the same stations over and over again! :)

Sometimes even VERY slow.
    Had a QSO, on 40m, sometime ago that was so slow that it seemed the other operator had to look up every single letter in a table.
    Then, it appeared it was a 13y old girl in Russia (R2...).
    I'm pretty sure daddy was looking over her shoulder... very interesting...

I agree with G0OEY that the FISTS frequencies are a good starting point.
    Though I am not a member, many operators there certainly take their time to make the QSO into a very interesting one.

W5BIB likes this.
  8. KE7ATE

KE7ATE Ham Member QRZ Page

Recently, I've taken up the cause to reclaim my little 10 WPM place on the bands with my qrp rig in one hand and the straight key in the other. The bands have been pretty mediocre lately. I try to get on the air more frequently during the busy times, and I too call CQ, but don't let it discourage you. I too have trouble getting contacts with QRP. Its all in being persistent and not giving up. I thought it was my slow speed, but I think if people really want a contact, they will do whatever it takes to make contact. I don't let the speed demons distract me and I focus on listening to those who I can copy. I figure if I have a shot at making a contact, I always give a call and try to contact a station when I catch their call sign. You never know... sometimes the magic happens and they acknowledge your call. The most important thing is you are getting on the air and having fun. :)

W5BIB likes this.
  9. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

About the only time I call CQ running QRP, is to check-out the RBN. I have much better luck making a contact, when I answer a CQ or call someone when they complete a QSO with someone else.

I often hear very weak signals calling CQ, but, it sometimes takes several of their CQ's before I can get their callsign.

I think when you call another station (& you have a weak/QRP signal)... it becomes more "personal" & the other station will make the extra effort to "pull you out" ;)

After over 57 years of CW only,... It's ALL fun !! :D

72/73

NG9F likes this.
  10. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You say you are new to CW? Newly licensed? Do you have a friend or acquaintance close by in country who you could set up a sked with? Maybe a signal quality report or tactful comment on your sending would be helpful. I remember a thousand years ago as a novice when one of my elmers would call and ask for me to get on the air. Ole Jake W5CYN (SK) would tell me straight if I needed practice. And it sure helped get over the first 'on air' jitters. Might try that. Good luck. 73