ad: M2Ant-1

Getting a bit discouraged.

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by M0KBO, Aug 15, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You'll "get over it" ;)

2. KA3CTQ

KA3CTQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I understand. During my first QSO, I forgot how to copy because I was so flustered. Luckily, my father was just outside listening to my contact. When I was hesitating to respond, he walked in and handed me a clear copy of what the other op sent. That helped me fill in the mental gaps that were on my paper.

Like anything else, it gets easier with repetition. QSO 2, 3, 4, and onward will not befuddle you as much.

Congrats!

M0KBO likes this.
  3. KN4ICU

KN4ICU Ham Member QRZ Page

Lately on 40 meters, it's been taking awhile to get replies from my CQs. Maybe because of the Summer weather, people aren't on as much??

4. M0OET

M0OET Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, thanks for posting your experience, I'm in the same boat!

I've messaged you RE: arranging a sked.

5. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Or just flat-out awful conditions, most likely.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Check the RBN and see where you're being heard, and with what signal strength.

Calling CQ is what catches the RBN's attention and you should find yourself.

If you see you're being heard all over the world and nobody's answering you, check your deodorant.:p But if it reports you're not being heard anywhere, then there's a problem.

I might also mention: Some CQs I hear (on both CW and phone) aren't conducive to anyone answering them. Make sure you're calling CQ in such a way that people can easily answer you. Never end a CQ with AR, that's silly. End it with a "K" and make a CQ long enough for people to find you -- but not so long they fall asleep listening to it.

7. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's DX on QRP! :D

Just because you've been told CW improves your chances with a QRP rig does not mean it's going to be easy. Keep trying.

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

With QRP it's more productive to make sure you use a VFO and answer other people's CQs.

My lil' TT C/21 runs about 40-50W output power and for me that's QRP, but usually if I answer somebody they hear me. Usually.

I used to take the little FT-817ND out camping and stuff but that was too frustrating so if we go out now, I take the C/21, even though it requires 120Vac power. I can get that from almost anywhere including a battery and an inverter, but at least it runs enough power to be heard most of the time. If we're actually camping at a campgrounds, we have shore power available. If not and self-contained, the RV provides the power.

KF9VV and WD0BCT like this.
  9. N5WVR

N5WVR Ham Member QRZ Page

PSK31 is jammed into one or two 3 kHz or less chunks of each sub-brand. You rarely hear any PSK outside the area around 14.070-14.072, 7.070-7.072, and a few other spots. So you can very easily find someone, or see that the band is dead. The same goes for FT8, JT65, etc.

CW is often spread out over a bigger chunk of the band, and CW ops are spread out over a wider range of sending speeds. Those things make it a bit harder to connect. Just keep plugging away.

M0KBO, M6GYU, NG9F and 1 other person like this.
  10. NG9F

NG9F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can always get into the SKCC chat room and say "hey somebody answer me- i'm desperately lonely here on 7.113!"

https://sked.skccgroup.com/

N5WVR and M0KBO like this.