ad: MonitorSens-1

Get your Perf and Proto boards while you can

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KL7AJ, Aug 25, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

There seems to be a worldwide shortage of perfboards, solderable breadboards, and prototyping boards of every kind. And the ones that are available are EXPENSIVE....50 cents a square inch seems about the going rate.

Get them while you can.

K0UO likes this.
  2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Last ones I bought had odd hole spacing and not made for DIP chips. Not a happy camper.

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Time to hoard and drive the price skyward!

K0UO and N0TZU like this.
  4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

And then sell your stash to the highest bidder!

Attend my seminar this weekend on how to make a fortune in prototype boards with no money down! Only $100 per seat.

:p

AC0OB, SM0GLD and K0UO like this.
  5. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

there are some great mfgrs in europe, "mikroelectronika" ?
    make nice stuff. will never mention why pins are spaced 2,54 mm, AND NEVER explain what "ascii" really stands for.
    its a pride thing !!

6. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I've been poking around, buying stuff lately, odds and ends, "while I can". I personally am not a doom and gloom person, but if it's only a few bucks to stock up now... there may be value in it, as, if nothing else, inflation will ensure it'll cost more in the future.

Now I just need to find time to do all those projects I've been thinking about...

WA9SVD and W6IR like this.
  7. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

A few years ago, I bought a big supply of small perf boards with solderable lands from Radio Shack.. on line. Not sure if they are still available.

8. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

One thing I found hard to find was perfboard with traces on them--no lack of boards with just holes and a bit of copper, but I much prefer the ones like solderless breadboards, where strips of holes are pre-connected. I know some don't prefer those, they find it easier to make circuits without any sort of pre-route, but myself, I prefer ones that way.

I ordered some 1% quarter-Watt resistors recently on ebay and they all came with some super thin leads. Usable but they don't go into solderless breadboard like "real" leads ought to. The resistors are cheap enough that I don't care, I'll use them all the same. But next time I might just pony up for a Digikey (or Mouser or wherever) order--I'm leery of buying IC's off ebay, and moreso of electrolytic capacitors. Much better to get a big order into a real vendor, my time on earth is too short to deal with counterfeit parts. But I do have to admit to stocking up on cheap knock-off Arduino Nano's in high hopes of someday doing something with them...

9. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Beware the Radio Shaek boards -- yes, that is what the board says. A very poor knock-off of the old Radio Shack board. They would pop up on Amazon on occasion -- cheap tan board material and crudely etched pads

10. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Quality perfboards have always been expensive. It is likely that you just never noticed the price.

Zak W1VT