Get your opinions ready - another grounding question!

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N6MST, Nov 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N6MST

N6MST Ham Member QRZ Page

This can be done. In fact I will probably do this at both locations where the wire bends at roughly right angles. Thank you for the clarification!

AK5B likes this.
  2. N6MST

N6MST Ham Member QRZ Page

This is also something I struggle with. Since I am not an engineer nor an electrician I don't know how to design these things. I also don't have any experience with proper grounding! I might be a dangerous ham but I am learning.

AK5B likes this.
  3. F5VHZ

F5VHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The radio and power supply should use the house wiring earth, you can run a ground stake just outside the house and earth the screen of the coax if your worried about lightning. Not in your concrete, but use a 4ft metal rod and hammer it right into the ground leaving just 6 inches above ground.
    Measure the voltage AC between your incoming coax and your internally grounded radio...if there is a voltage there, your house earth is no good...get it checked by a proper electrician. some countries have very dubious earthing regulations...all my ariels and radios are earthed to the metal walls of my faraday cage radio shack. Situated in my garage workshop, my 4 meter sq shack has a very good earth in very conductive ground.. I only have one earth spike. that's all you need. and my antenna sw 4 way is earthed to the shack metal wall. Basic but very effective, i get no interference, floating voltages, or even feedback to my hifi system in the garage..I do like to listen to country western or jaz in the garage, and can transmit 100w without the slightest feedback into the hifi.

AK5B likes this.
  4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There might be an additional path from AC ground to the radio, then to the coax shield and the ground rod: A connection from a computer to the radio via USB or serial port. (This was extensively discussed in a previous thread) One way to mitigate this is a jumper between the computer AC power strip or outlet and the RF entrance ground rod, as suggested by KF5LJW.

5. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

All true, start with the basics. I do not know the extent of what the OP is doing.

To the OP, if you can find a way to bring the Coax into the house very near where the AC Service Entrance is located will eliminate 95% of all Grounding and Bonding issues. You simple bond your ADU (antenna discharge unit) to the AC Service Ground. Just doing that will put you in much better shape than 95% of all ham operators.

That can also be improved a bit by adding at least a rod or two, ior even radials are more effective than rods. If you are using a Tower or Mast will require more work per code. I'll stop there because I have no clue what you want to do and what you have.