ad: Radclub22-1

Get Ready for 10 Meters—Cheap & Effective

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Feb 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Danny, I tell the story of how one of my ham friends in Chicago "took care of" (pranked) a neighbor CBer running extreme power and causing interference on the ham bands. See it here:

Quin, K8QS

WQ4G likes this.
  2. K8QS

3. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Okay, when things open up... But, the reality of the situation is that most of them use their amps continuously and MOSTLY to reach about 5 miles down the road. For them it isn't about when things open up. It's about being the strongest local station or about talking over others. It's about the Friday and Saturday night Linear fights and not being a 'mud duck.' What ever the hell that means....

Why yes. You are absolutely correct. Especially when they bleed over onto 20 meters... I've had that experience more than once. I really see no reason for someone to run 10KW on 11 meters. Not only is it illegal, but it's down right stupid. But, there are some out there. I've seen more than one home brew 10KW CB amp for sale on Craiglist. And, I bet none of them have any filters...

Funny you should say that. I think most of their 'garbled audio' comes from use of Power Mics (turned up too far of course) and over driving their amps.

But, I do give some of them credit. Because of the 'black market' and illegality of CB amps they have become pretty industrious by building their own amps (never with filtering of course). Also, there are a few that actually take some pride in the spectral purity of their signals and how they operate their stations. Those are the ones that I believe we should try to recruit into Amateur Radio. The rest of them are IMO trouble makers...

WQ4G

KA2FIR, KD9FEK and WA9TDD like this.
  4. K8QS

I all them "non-linear amps." ;}. Quin, K8QS

N6SPP and WQ4G like this.
  5. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

@WQ4G
    Zero-Five has Maco beat:

upload_2021-2-17_12-17-58.png

COLOSSAL 10K 5/8 WAVE GROUNDPLANE ANTENNA

The Colossal 10K 5/8th wave ground plane was designed for high power operators who want maximum performance from their station. The Colossal has exceptionally quiet receive with superior transmit power over other designs, hi Q parallel tuned matching network assures maximum power transfer without feedline radiation. The Colossal 10K will handle a full 10kw pep when direct fed. Am Carrier power of up to 2.5KW can be used with this antenna when direct fed. Heavy duty T-832 seamless aircraft aluminum construction assures high wind handling in the toughest environments. Mounting heights between 30 to 60 to the base achieve best performance for local and DX contacts. This is a live tech support item, call for assembly or tuning instructions.
    This product has a 10 day lead time till shipping
    Gain—5.14DBI
    This is a true 5/8 Wave
    BANDWIDTH — 600KHZ.
    WEIGHT — 18LBS
    VERTICAL ELEMENT LENGTH — 21.5 Feet.
    OVERALL HEIGHT — 22.5 Feet.
    Has 4 spoke capacitance hat on the top to reduce end effect.
    WIND RATING — 92MPH
    MAST SIZE — Up to 1 5/8 inch OD
    MATCHING — Parallel tuned network.
    This antenna ships standard with a S0-239 connector installed.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    WQ4G likes this.
  6. KB8DNQ

KB8DNQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Good video guys. My first sun spot cycle was #22.

7. K8QS

8. K8QS

KA2FIR likes this.
  9. EI7KW

EI7KW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks guys, great video. Got my ticket in august 2020 and one of my first QSO,s was Brazil on 10m with 50w.
    I check 10m every day and looking forward to this years openings.

10. W0AQ

W0AQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sunspot Cycle 22 was when I really got active too, even thought I was licensed a few years prior. I was actually a Novice for quite a while until I started upgrading.

I had a Uniden HR2600 rig in my car and a mag-mounted hamstick antenna, as I was in my car a lot at that time, and I made thousands of contacts. It's hard to describe how much fun that was.

N6SPP likes this.
  11. K8QS

Congrats on your ticket and 10-meter success, John. I look forward to working you when the band is open.
    Quin, K8QS
    Subscribe: Ham Radio Perspectives YouTube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MJT8o8-XMxF8XROf7Q5GA/videos

12. K8QS

Super, Charlie. I like the ham call history on your QRZ page. Do take a look at our video on the history of QSL cards.
    Quin, K8QS
    Subscribe: Ham Radio Perspectives YouTube Channel

W0AQ likes this.
  13. N2NWK

N2NWK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Some days when 10 meters appears to be dead, I call CQ and get a couple replies.
    Night time when I am going home from work, I usually put out a couple CQ's and get some stations responding to me.

I have had stations from Florida, Michigan, Oklahoma and Ohio responding at 1 a.m east coast time.
    Am usually mobile that time of the morning heading up to Baltimore from Washington DC.

K2CD, N6SPP and WA9TDD like this.
  14. K8QS

Del, I find the same thing. The band seems dead, but I get responses to CQs. Yet nearly always the channel 6 CB band is open at that time, signalling 10 meters is open. Love the pic of your beam hanging in your van. Thanks for your comment, Del.
    Quin, K8QS
    Subscribe to "Ham Radio Perspectives" YouTube Channel:

N2NWK likes this.
  15. K4PMV

K4PMV Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Great info.......thanks 73,K4PMV