ad: ProAudio-1

Get Ready for 10 Meters—Cheap & Effective

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Feb 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K4XJ

K4XJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Like I said....Thought this was a Amateur radio forum....Can't cut them apron strings LOL

KA2FIR likes this.
  2. K4XJ

K4XJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah right...I use to be on CB, but I cut the apron strings good buddy....Breaker Breaker 10-4 LOL

KA2FIR likes this.
  3. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

John --

Thanks for your great note.

Are you running the end-fed on 10? Still loading up your pool cover?

Quin, K8QS
    Subscribe: Ham Radio Perspectives YouTube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MJT8o8-XMxF8XROf7Q5GA/videos

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Is it CB or 11 Meters ?

This is a world wide website, And some here have 11 meter privileges.

Did someone put a Pin in your coax ?

5. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Did we say "150"? Argh. We meant up to 50 miles ground wave.

Quin, K8QS

ND6M likes this.
  6. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Elitism comes in many forms, Thing is in most forms it's as solid as smoke. Like this one were discussing.

KR3DX likes this.
  7. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, agreed .......... EVERYBODY knows that real hams use VOX on 80,...................oops, 75 meters, and 10 meters is a rookie band.

KR3DX likes this.
  8. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Another good reason to use ladder line. ;)

KB1GKN, N5AF and KA9JLM like this.
  9. K0DUC

K0DUC Ham Member QRZ Page

Elitism is a very healthy thing. You don't want any crack addict off the street hired on the spot to help your heart surgeon during your life or death surgery, now do you? People who can't do things to a level of capacity and competence don't belong in places. Telling people to leave, or throwing them out, is sometimes the best and only good policy. Maligning elitism is a major problem of modern society.

Now, snobbery is a bad thing. A purely bad thing. We should all strive to be less snobbish, and we should work against snobbery.

I think the disdain for CB in many Ham's is sometimes that healthy elitism (nobody needs a bunch of knuckle dragging, echo board loving, noise making trouble makers who don't communicate with anybody and just look at how high their wattmeter reads when they scream AUUUUDIOOO into their radio over and over again for hours), a concern that bad habits and attitudes will travel with them. The other part is minor snobbery, and there is some sense of "those people" in regards to the service, and often an unwarranted and very radical hardline hatred for the service to the point of ridiculous zealotry.

Some rightly justified, other parts of the attitude are wrong and the prejudice often unwarranted.

But I warn you about destroying elitism, and warn against too much inclusiveness. Lest one day it is screaming monkeys on 20 meter, 40 meter, et al, because we set the bar too low, and tolerated too much.

K3XR, WB4YAL and KR3DX like this.
  10. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Disdain for CB is usually some ex-CBer posturing and hoping nobody remembers him when he was The Rubber Duck.

I just keyed up on channel 19 for a minute to keep it real.

K6MTS likes this.
  11. N5TZH

N5TZH Ham Member QRZ Page

10 meters was ready like in the late 50 and again in the 70s 5 watts and ur working dx wish it was like that again

KA2FIR likes this.
  12. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Elitism leads down a very dark path like now where unelected elitists decide what's for the good of a people in most of the world. Genocide comes from the heart of elitists. Respect is another matter like the doctor and its earned.

W2CPD, VK6APZ/SK2022 and KR3DX like this.
  13. KD4LT

KD4LT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

great show

14. WB4JHS

WB4JHS Ham Member QRZ Page

I think there’s lots of great stories of how all of us got into licensed amateur radio work.

I was probably nine or 10 years old riding my Schwinn bike around St. Petersburg Florida when I heard the heterodyne come out of an old man’s garage and I rode my bike up and said “what is all that stuff” ? And he replied it’s short wave radio. He didn’t have a transmitter but he was a retiree and was listening to all sorts of things. I came back another day to listen and he told me he would give me a working RME 69 receiver if I mowed the grass for the summer and so I did and after mowing later in the summer he trusted me sent me home with his awfully heavy receiver in the basket on my bike and I took 100 feet of wire and hurled it over the roof nailed to a grapefruit that I pulled off a grapefruit tree for a counter balanced weight.

that was the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen in my life with all the glowing tubes and hearing radio BBC & Germany and all sorts of places. Somehow fell into finding CB’rs at my local high school and we all started to goof around and then one of my friends got a ticket and an Elmer helped me who was running a TV repair shop to get my novice. I think radio kept me out of a lot of trouble!

Had a 1 watt walkie-talkie my dad bought for deer hunting and I would sit on the roof to talk with people. One of my CB friends bought at an estate sale a Drake TR-3 and basically loaned it to me since he never had time to learn the code. Got my general license after failing it twice for the written but that’s ok.

It was always fun to check in on the crowd on 11m but the ham bands were the best. I’ll never forget listening to some 11M legend brag about his Browning Eagle & Tram Titon and Moonraker. His name was houndog. Legend was that he shut down a CB channel I-95 from Florida to New York when he key'd his D-104...as kids we actually believed him. Often he would ask: “Hey anybody out there have change for nickel?”....model citizen.

He actually died later and the rumor at the high school was that he was buried with the D-104 in his hand across his chest. This is probably where fake news actually began at our local high school class of 1976. It is our fault.

We all can celebrate different pathways to actually getting here...many of us didn’t have much money but we built a station and DX’d a bunch.

Share your story of Americana...Houndog might be listening.

John WB4JHS

NK0V, HA2ZB and WA9TDD like this.
  15. CX5CDV

CX5CDV Ham Member QRZ Page

Buenas noches
    Si me permiten una opinion,yo no se si abrio o no la propagacion,pero en 20 dias hice unas 18 Divisiones diferentes de Centroamerica ,Caribe y Europa,estoy feliz en lo personal,gracias y saludos.

WQ4G, M0YRX, HA2ZB and 1 other person like this.