ad: Retevis-1

Get Ready for 10 Meters—Cheap & Effective

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Feb 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Tom (WA9TDD) and Quin (K8QS) explain how to get ready for 10-meter amateur radio operation, including propagation, equipment, antennas, and modes. When 10 is hot, it's hot.

Attached Files:

W2CSI, ZIGGY3320, KB7THL and 13 others like this.
  2. WB4JHS

WB4JHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Great job guys!

some day perhaps collect pictures of the messiest cluttered shacks; weirdest CB legends as well as classic mistakes in mounting towers with the fails that cause them to fall over!

John
    WB4JHS
    Orlando, Fl

NC1Y, KG5ILP, W4ABC and 2 others like this.
  3. WA9TDD

WA9TDD Ham Member QRZ Page

Great idea, John. Those would be a fun videos to do. Quin, add that to the list.

73 Tom

W7HT likes this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

A bit of optimism is always welcome. Great video:)

Just a rule of thumb--longhaul DX on 10M is more prevalent when the SFI is well above 130--and we may or may not reach that this cycle. We are still in sunspot min conditions right now. But watch for openings; it is fantastic when 10 is open!

W2CSI, G3SEA, WQ4G and 3 others like this.
  5. KC1CCG

KC1CCG Ham Member QRZ Page

I am ready for ten but ten isn't ready for me!

K8XG, AL7M, IW3ILM and 16 others like this.
  6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't forget the "halo" antennas for 10m, especially for locations where space efficiency is helpful. They are very light, have small wingspan, and are easy to raise to significant heights.

Over the last couple of weeks, there have already been several 10m openings. Many contacts at around 5,000 miles, and a few close to 10,000 miles. It's shaping up to be a nice year for low VHF. :cool:

N5AF and WA9TDD like this.
  7. K0DUC

K0DUC Ham Member QRZ Page

Using the same exact tactic I use, watching Channel 6 CB! You know there is some potential when you can hear all that racket coming in through strong on the Super Bowl, and its time to try DX'ing on 10 or even CB. Its a great, simple indicator!

I've had good luck with my MACO 5000. Had a crystal clear conversation with a fellow 950 miles away who gave me a report of 9db on his CB rig in terms of reception during the last major solar storm, QRP all legal stock Cobra 29. Last week I was able to make my first 10 meter SSB contact with a fellow in Georgie and listened to a few conversations and contesters in the Carolinas. I know I've got a decent setup, and I'm itching for the band to open wide up again.

My fear is that Ham's won't show up. Good to keep the awareness of the band up! I think a valid statement from many CBer's, both the best operators and the very worst, is that even if the high HF range opens up, there might not be anybody to talk to! Whereas whenever the bands open up, there are always people on CB. Yes, many with their damned echo boxes, with power mikes that cause distortion. But, also a lot of decent operators, a lot of normal traffic and average folks.

Here's looking forward to the big cycle!

KR3DX and WA9TDD like this.
  8. K4XJ

K4XJ Ham Member QRZ Page

People talking about CB?...Thought this was a Ham Radio forum.

W4AIN, N6MEJ, WA5VGO and 8 others like this.
  9. K8QS

Chip --
    Thanks for your note. Hope is a huge part of the culture of ham radio. Love your audio studio as seen on your QRZ page.
    Quin, K8QS
    Subscribe: Ham Radio Perspectives YouTube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MJT8o8-XMxF8XROf7Q5GA/videos

W1YW likes this.
  10. K8QS

Hi, Mark. We'll see lots of 11-meter "crossover" rigs when the sunspots start rolling in. Some hams remember when 11 meters was part of amateur radio, officially. And lots of CBers end up in ham radio. Thanks for your post.

Quin, K8QS

IT9FNO, KN8DAP, CX3ABD and 4 others like this.
  11. K8QS

12. K8QS

This has been my experience too, Matt. Yes, we should have said more about the halo antennas. What has surprised me is the number of newer hams on 10 who came in from CB and are using CB verticals -- and great operators with a lot of enthusiasm for 10 meters. Appreciate your note.

Quin, K8QS

N4KRX and N5AF like this.
  13. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Its radio isn't it? Not going to dump on anyone referencing where so many got their start. Got to know a guy who was into those high power setups in mobile. They get together just like hamfests and some of the setups are as technical if not more than most hams. Plenty of different people across the spectrum so no need to get all county club about it. I know I never upgraded past general because why would I want to talk to people who never want to go below their frequency's and talk to the "unwashed masses".
    Elitism has chased many away and I find most elitist's are boring to deal with anyways. I enjoy people who are into radio not what club they belong to.

AA4YD, KB7ZJP, K6MTS and 13 others like this.
  14. N5AF

N5AF Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a nice link to historical solar data compiled for easy viewing: https://www.solen.info/solar/history/

M0TTQ, KR3DX and W1YW like this.
  15. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

In case you missed it in a previous post.

MY TAKE ON THE 11 METER (CB) / HAM RADIO ISSUE

From K3XR post on QRZ.com forum..

The 11 meter issue is a separate one doubtful any opinions will change regardless here goes......Just finished reading new replies to this thread when listening to a conversation on 2 meters with one station telling the other station he was "giving him 2 pounds" now there's a ham the phrase if ever there was one! Seems to me no one would know you were a previous 11 meter operator unless you made it known or unless you conducted your operating in a manner that would remove any doubt.

It is difficult for some to understand that references to 11 meters by way of phrases operating practices etc are offensive to those who take pride in a disciplined hobby where its participants mostly comply with the rules and regulations. Yes I know ham radio has its share of bad operators that does not mean we need more of them.

If you are a former operator of the 11 meter band and complied with all of the rules and regulations on that band there is every reason to expect you will do the same on the ham bands and you should be welcomed. For example, did you limit your communications to 151 miles (recently changed) ? Limit transmissions to 5 minutes with a 1 minute break? Only operated on assigned channels? Operated at the legal power limit? The old and recently changed rules and regs are widely available if you want to take the time to do the research.