ad: MLSons-1

Get on air and make some noise ...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Oct 27, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N5AF

N5AF Ham Member QRZ Page

Listening for five minutes was a good thing. After the five minutes, a better approach would have been calling "Is the frequency in use, KG5UMH" instead of CQ. From the perspective of the other guy, you jumped in and started calling CQ. He was unaware you listened for five minutes. ;)

I've listened to a dead frequency for a lot longer than five minutes and then asked "Is the frequency in use" and received far worse treatment than you did. Some frequencies are "owned", no matter what anyone says. You'll learn to avoid them.

Hint: The WARC bands. People are more polite. Fewer U.S. operators..

KF4ZKU likes this.
  2. NB4R

NB4R Ham Member QRZ Page

I also don't talk a lot. I have started doing so lately. I've been listening to QSO's that involve the equipment setup, antenna theory and other technical discussions. I've been a ham about four years and I'm learning. I yearn for the knowledge. I just now feel that I have enough of the knowledge to ask good questions about that I don't quite understand. So, in essence , I am talking more.

Microphone fright. Fear of butting in where one is not welcome. That does exist in amateur radio. There are many different reasons people don't get on the air. The main reason I feel is that like other things in life speaking on the air is completely outside ones comfort zone. The only way to get beyond that is to push outside the bubble. Force yourself to act (speak) and the result will be complete comfort later on.

Someone has stated this earlier, I am amazed at how many hams can talk for 15 to twenty minutes without letting up. I wish I knew any subject in such minute detail that I could speak that long about it. I'm not faulting them. Don't get me wrong. I'm jealous. But one that is absolute true. I am pushing my envelope toward that goal

KF4ZKU and VK6APZ/SK2022 like this.
  3. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

4. W3DLB

W3DLB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have noticed over the years that "conversations" have become nothing more than "look what I know" sessions. I agree with N5AVF. Unless I am asked, I like to keep my QSO short and sweet.......

5. KE5ES

KE5ES Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Listening is a dying art. Politeness is almost inheard of. When someone calls CQ and you answer to be told "I am calling DX!" There are a few choice phrases that come to mind but there is alot of bandwidth out there and not alot of time in my life to bother with "Todd". I move my finger away from the tune button and turn the dial.

KF4ZKU, WN1MB and AK5B like this.
  6. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sour grapes can produce fine wine, Jeff.

Yes, you are not alone in being a long-term listener/observer before getting licensed; I actually started listening to all sorts of exotic radio signals thirty years before becoming a ham. First , as a BCB dxer as a kid, then as a SWBCB and ham-band SWL, as an older kid. I really got to know operating procedures that way and learn the lingo of our hobby long before it was time for me to put it to good use.

I still remember the thrill of hearing KX6BU passing traffic way out in the Central Pacific (now the V73AX Kwajalein club station), Radio South Africa's chirping bird/guitar ID or an AM broadcast station in Chile whose faint signal barely made its way through the ether to my listening post---and those thrills added up to motivate me towards having a station of my own someday. I became fond of hearing Otto, W5YU (SK) regularly work 80m dx with his powerhouse signals emanating from his huge four-square array as well as Seymour, W6CCP (SK) working all corners of the globe on 20 meters often "via the long path."

When I finally got my Tech ticket in 1996 I was ready and chomped at the bit to call CQ on six meters (still my favorite band)---and that I did as soon as I gathered some all-mode gear and antennas soon thereafter. Sure, there was still a bit of initial "mic fright" reluctance but that was quickly overcome once the ionosphere started scattering my signals hither and yon and my calls started getting answered from near (K6QXY, 60 miles) and far (W1IPL, 1100 miles).

Your observations are all spot on, in my opinion; and it is sad to see how the "cell-phone culture" has affected not only everyday life but our fascinating ham radio hobby so much that newcomers must now be "taught how to talk" and pushed out of the nest in order to begin to fly.

So ironic since amateur radio, like society, relies on communication and the appropriate skills needed therein.

Jeff (coincidentally)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    KF4ZKU and WN1MB like this.
  7. KE0DZW

KE0DZW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I too am more of a listener. I enjoy spending my time trying to pull in that weak signal just as much as I do making a QSO.
    many years as a youth spent as SWL, maybe thats why.

KF4ZKU, K9ASE, AK5B and 1 other person like this.
  8. KI7KCW

KI7KCW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I can attest to the fact that it's not easy making a QSO as a relatively new ham (licensed in 2017). I will take your advise and "make some noise". 73 KI7KCW

VK6FLAB likes this.
  9. N8ZL

N8ZL Ham Member QRZ Page

10. YO4BZC

YO4BZC Ham Member QRZ Page

HI!!! NOT NOISE, MAYBE SOME Q R M, BUT NOT FROM ME!!!! CONGRATS!!! 73 DE YO4BZC

11. N8ARB

N8ARB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I am still a Novice. I decided to jump back into Amateur Radio after a 30 years. I met a find group here in Hamilton Ohio (HAMARC). WE have breakfast and dinners together. Studying now to upgrade.

WN1MB likes this.
  12. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, but it isn't going to change. I only see it getting worse. And yes, I judge the heck out of things.

WN1MB likes this.