ad: ProAudio-1

Get back on Ten Meters de Gary K8JCR

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by K8JCR, Oct 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. VE2TH

VE2TH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Dave,

Yes it is the exact address I have, but it doesn't work for me.

Anyway thanks and have a nice day,

72/73 Michel VE2TH

VE3GCX likes this.
  2. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Where I live, several of us have been participating in a local 10m Net.... just to relieve some of the boredom from the current situation. In fact, I just put up a 10m dipole just yesterday to replace my temp antenna for that band.

So far, I've only heard local stations but if I hear a 10m DX, I'll be QSOing them!

KA2RRK likes this.
  3. K7HC

K7HC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We have a small net just starting in Yerington Nevada. We get together on Saturday evenings 6 pm local time on 28.335.

KA2RRK likes this.
  4. M0YRX

M0YRX Ham Member QRZ Page

Might be time for those on the Atlantic coast to listen for Europe on 10m SSB , Thursday night a GM station reported hearing low American voices working HC which he did work and last night a G station in Southern England worked FM,8P,FG and PJ4. Its not uncommon from here to work PY,LU or CE at anytime of the year but North America is more restricted where we are in the Solar cycle to our E season 20.00>24.00 utc seems to be the window (?)
    Might be abit early yet but if you dont try ......

KA2RRK likes this.
  5. WX9DX

WX9DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Welp Old Man and readers out there, I'd like to put in my 2 cents, if I may. :)

I use a Flex 5000a SDR radio most of the time for hf. There is interference from my beacon transmitter while talking on ten meters! So when talking on ten meters I have to shut down the WX9DX beacon on 28.292. Then when done I turn the beacon back on. By doing this I am able to work ten meters with no RF interference! Mostly I use a Ranger 2995 radio for ten meters and it is really a great piece of equipment! The Ranger radio and the antenna are really just to close proximity to my 1 watt beacon transmitter. Just to let you know both pieces of equipment share the same piece of property north west of Springfield Illinois. Being retired I monitor my radio equipment often. Ten meters has been opening up sporadically lately and mostly in this hemisphere. Monitoring propagation into Europe from Illinois there has been some, but it has been very light.

BTW OM just to inform you and the masses that might read this post, LOL! Springfield Illinois and the area has a good following of people that use ten meters every day, and has had for over 50 years. Many have used converted CB radios on Ten meters and even built their own equipment. Which this surely tells you that most here are older Hams that actually know radio top to bottom. This group of Hams in Sangamon County Illinois are amazing people and well worth getting to know!

I am not new to this phrase" if you don't use it" as the man above has stated! Myself I don't believe that Motorola or any other manufacturer is going to take this very sketchy radio band! As history does repeat it self " I have been wrong before"! :) But in this case I don't believe so. I speak from some experience in radio communications and relationship with the FCC. If you talk about taking frequencies away you had better worry more about the above 900 MHz region!

Seems that the Millennials are here in force on the bands. And now earning their spurs as Ham operators. Also sharing their worries about the hobby. But I write this to ease their minds about ten meters and losing the band. I have been told things like this by my union representatives, the ARRL, NRA and many others to spur us to give money to keep away the beast. At times this makes a difference throwing money at a problem. But I would not in this case go screaming and running into the storm to stop the invading enemy " so to speak"! As some might have you believe the sky is falling "to quote Chicken Little"! Ten meters is secure just listen when it opens up, there are plenty of users and plenty more listening in the background. And yes I still have a beacon on there like many others.

Just listen for the beacons with your squelch set. It will open up sometime and you might even have to learn some CW!

God Bless America
    Best regards my friends :)
    Jimmy, WX9DX

6. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't believe we will lose 10 meters if we don't use it, since HF amateur radio bands are set by international treaty. So the FCC just can't sell off 10 meters. At any rate, I've set up an old Realistic HTX-100 in my shack, and am planning on installing a 10m antenna on the roof of the house at some point in the near future. It's just one of those "round tuit" projects. But I have hooked up an old CB in my shack so that when I hear traffic on it (usually the overpowered stations on Ch. 6) I know that 10 may be open as well.

One of my recent projects is converting an old Cobra 29 CB to a 10m CW QRP rig. I just need to build a BFO so I'll be able to hear CW on it. I've got a few other old CB's I wouldn't mind converting to the 10m AM band at 29.000-29.200. But again, I need more of those round tuits.

7. KC3MIO

KC3MIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This thread is like the 10 meter band. It has a little flurry of activity and then goes dormant. It’s a big band and I don’t think many hams try it out. Maybe a few CQs and then bye. Too much band, too few ops, erratic propagation. How to connect?

8. KV9Y

KV9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been making FT-8 QSOs on 10M every day for the past week or so. Not many, but a few. Heard some SSB last weekend during the day. I miss the days of working JA with 50 watts. :p

9. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The Art
    The Arctic Amateur Radio Experimenters club will be having our virtual monthly club meetings, the fourth Friday of every month on 28.4, 6pm Alaska time. We DO want to get some Techs to use their HF privileges!

10. N3VEZ

N3VEZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I
    I check the band most days and log a couple QSOS a week. FT8 mostly.